New Zealand rabbits ...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimiwall

Reaction score
What colour are the babies if a New Zealand white doe is mated to a New Zealand red buck ?

Whites and red should not be bred together. Reds should ideally only be bred to reds. Whites can give reds mismatched toenails and can mess with the color.

What do you mean mismatched nails and colours? Is it just because there is a change of black and brown ones ? Can you still get white and red kits out of them? Thanks :)

when you breed them youn can get missmarked NZs. so say you get a red kit, but he has 1 white colored toe nail. this would be a DQ (disqualified) when showing. if you are breeding for meat, i would imagine that it would not matter.

yes the above is correct if you are breeding for meat then it doesnt matter. I noticed this is in the UK thread and i dont believe mismatched toenails are a DQ but it all depends on their purpose. You could get whites and red but also could get the colors in the background depending on their genetics.

really? not a DQ in the UK? that is weird. in the US wrong toe nail colors is a big DQ.

But there is still a chance of red ones and white ones (even if they have different toes?)

really? not a DQ in the UK? that is weird. in the US wrong toe nail colors is a big DQ.

Yea well i think because in the tans i have to be super careful about white spots and white toenails in the imported rabbit lines. Numerous judges have told me those kinds of things are not disqualifications in europe.

I've had so many different answers but it's good to hear all the options. Some say that all I'll get are black ones and others say it'll be red/white divided and some say all agouti. It's more going to be a waiting game I think! I have a red doe and white buck ordered but they won't be here until October.

Latest posts

Back