OC winter weather.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patmylop

Reaction score
We live in Orange County, CA and will probably have some breeding around the New Year's time. It can get down to the high 30s, low 40s during winter. Would you suggest covering/ insulating the cages?
I grew up outside of Boston and I remember my Dad on that frigid morning taking our frozen rabbit into the trash can. Certainly don't want to repeat that. Thanks for your suggestions.
P~

I live in NY, similar climate to Boston, and my rabbits survived last winter with subzero temps and all. I put a bunch of straw in the bedroom area of their hutches. I also gave them electric warming mats,but I never saw them lying on them. I didn't like the straw because it has these prickly things that would get in my clothes and poke me so I am going to try to insulate part of their hutches for this winter. I'd think that in your climate, if they have a space where they can go in the hutch to get out of the wind, they can stay warm with just the winter coat they will grow as the temps drop. Insulating wouldn't hurt though. I have never bread rabbits, but I have read that people either wait until spring to breed or use heat lamps for the kits.

We breed in the fall, winter & spring because summer is too hot. Around here summer lasts from mid-May thru Sept. When it gets cold I hang a heavy duty tarp around our cages, in addition to the shade cloth hanging it keeps the wind out and its a few degrees warmer in there. I also put up a large piece of plywood at the north end to block wind. That said, we usually don't have much problem with losing kits. The best insulation is a good layer of hay and plenty of mom's hair in the nestbox. Kits will stay warm as long as they're buried in that.

Depending on the breed your rabbit could stay warm and cozy. I have one lionhead and he was just fine although I would suggest having a place in the hutch where no wind can get in very easily. The bottom of my cage is just chicken wire and the top is half chicken wire and half blocked off with only little "doorways" for him to squeeze in and out of. I did put a lot of bedding and warm water in the cage and water bottles. i am getting a heated water bottle this winter to. good luck!
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1412832455.360695.jpg

Latest posts

Back