Family update

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganc731

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!!

It feels so good to be able to be back to the boards somewhat regularnow. I've been able to check in at least once every couple days. Itseems like life has just gotten so busy!!

I got my new KW Cage a couple days ago, I was testing it out before Igave a review. So far it's lookin' good!!! The bun's are really happywith it, seems to be roomy enough for them, even though I felt it wasstill a touch on the small side. Actually it's giving them just asmidge more room because it has metal urine gaurds rather than the woodframe. I'm having a hard time getting rid of the old cage since Buckhad given me so much advice when I was making it, every time I look atit I think of him. The new cage has a wire bottom, so I gave them apiece of cardboard so they could rest on that, I just want toconfirm that it is ok if they chew it.... right??? I'm such a worrywart!!

Mr. Wiggles was also neutered a couple weeks ago. That was so difficultfor me, I don't know what I would have done if anything had happened.Now that he's neutered I decided to try litter training the bun'sagain, he was really good before I got Foo Foo, so I think now thathormones aren't in play, it will come back to him.

Life for us is a little chaotic currently. None of this is necessarilybad, just not what we had planned... in the middle of October Tim waslaid off from America Online. We decided that we wanted to seize theopportunity andmove someplace where housing was cheaper andthe atmosphere wasa little more casual, slower paced, andfamily oriented. We thought there were lots of opportunities for hisline of work down in Raleigh NC, so we went down for the weekend, fellin love, and then promptly learned that at this point he's most likelylimited to this area. Unfortunately we already gave our landlords 60days notice that we were terminating our lease early, so that's abummer. We're kind of scrambling trying to decide if he does get a jobhere if we should ask them to let us stay, if we should try to buy ahouse, or just move to another rental. Not having any control ofanything is a little unnerving!!! :D The kids are being troopers,although Bailee has told EVERYONE she meets that we're skippingChristmas!!! LOL We keep trying to tell her that we're not skippingChristmas, we just can't decorate. Being laid off was not exactly whatwe had in mind, but we're both really excited about what the futureholds. I'm also EXTREMELY PROUD of Tim because a couple nights ago hefinished his very last class to get his Bachelors degree!!!!! (which bythe way was paid for by AOL hehehe) My biggest worry right now is allour animals. Mainly the rabbits and the birds. My dogs andcattravel wonderfully so they're not a worry. We have 7 birdsand the 2 buns, so moving with them is going to be difficult on them.

So anyway, that's what is going on with us, both kids are doingawesome, Peter's really starting to do well in school, and Bailee iscute as ever!!

Megan

Hi Megan....Its OK for them to chew cardboard..I don't worry about paper unless there is ink on it. Its fine to give them paper towel rolls and thats cardboard. What kind of birds do you have. I have an African grey parrot who talks and can say the names of my 6 bunnies. I just had 2 bunnies neutered within 2 months. The hospital used lasers which was really good. The rabbits had no stitches and didn't need pain meds . They recovered extremely fast. I hope that your situation improves with your living situation. If I was you I would try to stay in the same place. It would be easier.

Thanks Angie!! I thought I had read that the cardboard was ok, but I just wanted to make sure.

I have 2 Grey Cheeked Parakeets, and 4 Oranged Chinned Parakeets, whichare all brotogeris, and then I have 1 cockatiel. Have you heard ofBird-elicious!? I think it's a great product, the owners areoff on Holiday leave, but they'll be back in January, it's worthbookmarking the site.HolidayPage

Thanks for getting back to me,
Megan

Wow Megan, there certainly is a lot going on. I hope that everything works out OK - it really is exciting.

Chewing cardboard is OK, eating it isn't. I have heard it can cause ablockage if they eat too much - maybe someone can correct me if I'mwrong! Pernod and Perry chew it a lot, but don't eat it, they justleave chewed pieces all over the floor :?.

Hope Mr Wiggles and Foo Foo are doing well. I was going to ask for pics(and of your kids too) but seeing as how busy you are, I'll let you offthis time ;)

Jan

It's okay to eat small amounts. Minewill often eat a little as they shred their way through abox. But it's not good if they eat a lot. Forexample, Loki will eat a cardboard toilet paper tube that's beenstuffed with hay in about 24 hours. All the hay, and all thecardboard. So he doesn't get that anymore, even though hisbondmate Mocha really likes playing with hay in cardboard tubes.

Hopefully everything works out in your living situation.We're not putting up a big tree this year, just the 2 foot tall faketree, as we're starting to move right after Christmas.

Thanks for the info! I think they're just ripping it up because they have shreds of it all over.

I would take pics, but our camera broke. My sister got a new one andloaned us her old one and now that one broke. I'm really bummed becauseI take a lot of pictures. I'm hoping for Christmas.

Megan

Hi..... I'm sorry if i was wrong about cardboard..I never had a bunny that ate large amounts so I would guess that eating a lot of it is not good. I have 2 bunnies that develloped some GI problems (Babettte and Beau) and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong (they get good timothy hay, plenty of greens, are brushed etc.) After studying them for awhile and anguishing over it for days I discovered that they sat in the litterbox and ate Carefresh.When I switched to Yesterdays News they improved immediately. Eating Carefresh would be liking flushing too much toliet paper down a toliet, I guess:D:DWatch out for Carefresh eating!

Latest posts

Back