only 1 baby rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enjoji

Reaction score
I have 2 rabbits, was told from both owners(came from different homes) that they were girls.. I have had 1 forabout 1 yr and the other for about 7 months or so..

I don't know how to sex rabbits so just as a little reassurance tomyself that I would not be dealing withany baby rabbits Ikeep them seperated.. They have their own room and 1 hutch in it.. 1stays in the hutch and the other roams the room, and I go in and switchthem around everyday so they each gets plenty of time to run around..

I walked in there one morning a lil over a month ago and found thatthey was already switched.. I was shocked to see the one that was outwas in the cage and the other was running the room.. The cage door waswide open.. I still don't have any clue as to how this happened but Ihave someone staying with me at the moment that needed a place to stayand am thinking she had done this..

I was a bit worried more that they had injured each other(whichafter a good check of both of them they werefine)more than anything, cause I was told they were bothfemales.. I still had the thought in the back of my head though to keepan eye on them..

I noticed large amounts of fur scattered on the floor one morning andsearched the room but did not find any babies so I thought maybe shewas just shedding. I went ahead and left her out and did not switch thebuns up, just in case..

I searched searched everyday for a baby and had not found any, buttoday I went to do the deep cleaning of the room and found 1 dead babyin her litter box..

I am a bit worried as I haven't found anymore.. I thought that they hadmore than one.. Is there any signs that I need to look out for justincase she hasn't delivered them all and that there may be somecomplications?

any advice is welcome as I have never dealt with a pregnant bun and tobe honest these are the first buns I have ever owned.. I love them topeices and would hate for something to go wrong with her.

a trip to the vet is the surest way to sex the rabbits, and also to check if the pregnant doe is still carrying any babies.

good luck,

Nicole

Sometimes first time mothers only have one.Iwould check the doe for bleeding .you can palpate to see if there areany more babies but unless you are experienced at it you might not beable to tell.bluebird

I agree... I'd take them to the vet and see whatsex of rabbits you have there. Some vets are very good, andwill take a quick look at no charge... call around.

Also, if you do have a girl you may want to consider having her orbetter yet both buns spayed and neutered... as cancer rates amongunaltered rabbits are a staggering.

One time Roxy gave birth to just one dead babyand everything was ok with her so i wouldnt be to worried, but i stillagree that checking with the vet is the safest option.

Leanne

Latest posts

Back