Need A Question Answered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greydaze

Reaction score
Ok, I just got the OK from my landlord, and I'mgetting my bunny soon! I've done a LOT of reading inpreparation, and there was just one question that I can't find ananswer to anywhere!

After much consideration, I decided against building my owncoop. But until my little bunny is litterbox trained, Ipromised my landlord there would be an exclosure and a tarp (coveredwith a blanket) to ensure that he doesn't use her floor as atoilet. I am also going to have him neutered at theappropriate time to prevent spraying. I have the tarp, butthe enclosure is posing a problem. Can I use a semi-circle ofchicken wire fencing, or will bunnies chew through it and hurtthemselves? I certainly wouldn't want that! Chickenwire is very inexpensive, though, so if I can get away with using itinstead of galvanized wire fencing ($6 per as opposed to $25-$40 per),I will.

Thanks in advance!:hug:

I personally due tobad experiences witrh chicken wire use it. I have had adultrabbits chew through it , where it is a lighter gauge wire, Personally I would use 1/4inch hardware cloth , it isnt very muchmore expensive than chicken wire and muchsafer for babies. Chicken wire less than 1inch a baby rabbit can and will get his head stuckin a hole and could possibly choke todeath . I have had week old babiescrawl completely through 1/2 inch wire .,fall tothe floor and freeze to death . not apretty sight first thing inthe morning .

ahhhh nooo...dont do it !!

... I too went to build a cage from chicken wire ...it will be cheaperfor you to build a cage from NIC squares .. theyre those wire squaresyou can use to build shelves and things with..you can find them atTarget, Kmart, etc.

My cage which is 28"w x 28"h x 42"l used up almost two boxes for $15 a piece

What I would suggest for the bottom is to build a tray out of plywoodthat the actual cage can fit into and then tile it with the inexpensivestick on linoleum tiles (a box on sale should only cost aroun $10 andwood isnt very expensive)

Goodluck and congrats on getting a new bunny!!!!!!!!

Also here is a website to see what the NIC cages look like .. scroll about half way down and you will see them

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/diet/careinfo2.html

Thanks for the replies guys... And thanks forthe links to cage building. Maybe I will build it after all,if it is inexpensive that way...

However, I still need to figure something out for the pen.Can't afford $40 (plus the cost of the bunny plus the accessories andcage, plus food and toys, plus litter...) right up front for a 6-panelenclosure.

Chicken wire is okay for a run if the bunny isnot going to be in it at night.racoons and dogs will go right throughit.i have never had a rabbit chew through the chicken wire.bluebird

Chicken wire is bad news. Pristine got all cut up on it.

Latest posts

Back