Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > Persuading the parents: Rabbits should be indoors

Old 06-16-2017, 02:06 AM   #31
Thumperina

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

PS right now we are having massive thunderstorm, I let them out before it started. I wouldn't let them be out in such thunderstorm if they were not stuck in garage all day (the humidity and heat were miserable). I visit them in garage by the way...
They have shelter under the deck (I put several tarps on the deck) and they can go in the old hutch that my friend made for them when they were babies (he already died since that time). The old hutch is small and isn't good to use on a regular basis but it can serve as shelter from elements. Plus the temperature is very warm, I am not concerned for them to get a cold if they are wet.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #32
Aki
Liked 145 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yeah, the heat is a big problem for all of us. I've got two very furry bunnies and a dog who's got so much fur he looks like a bear - everyone suffers a great deal right now. I have to travel with everyone in a fortnight to go to my parents for a few weeks and I'm really not looking forward to it... Honestly, I don't think you'll find a lot of places were heat isn't a problem nowadays, considering global warming. I live in the northern half of western France, you can't get more moderate than that climate wise and we also are around 35 right now. It was unheard of a few years back but what can you do...
Just make sure your rabbits have shady places where the can hide, a lot of water and give wet greens to boost their water intake... and, like you say, watch out for insects. I hope it will cool down a bit soon, but it's not likely - where I am, next week is looking bleak regarding the temperatures ^^'.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #33
Thumperina

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

thanks Aki
No, our summer hell is a usual thing, the last summer wasn't too bad, and when I say not so bad I mean that instead of torturing us till the end of September it went straight to a bearable weather in the second part of August. What I also mean is that periods of heat were interrupted by thunderstorms and local cool-down for a day or two from time to time

Several years ago we had summer drought and the temperature over 40C for like 20-25 days straight. I am still recalling it as one of the most disgusting things I have ever experienced.

Tags
housing, lonely, outdoor, parent, rabbit