Tips on hold to get my bun ok with bring held??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren8165

Lauren & Buns
Reaction score
My bunny does not like to be held. He is very sweet and loves to be loved on, but as soon as you go to pick him up, he freaks out. The times I do pick him up, he is absolutely terrified. Any tips on how to get him more comfortable with being held or are some bunnies with this temperament unable to ever be held?

Most rabbits despise being held. Some tolerate it. Sometimes it may be necessary to hold them (for nail clippings or exams) but other than that, I see no reason to force it. They typically just don't like to be held.

Be gentle, be consistent, and don't let the bunny boss you. You have to be the alpha and no matter how much they dislike it, you have to get them used to it--a certain amount of handling is a necessity. Like giving our Great Dane his medicine--probably be easier to club him unconscious and then shove it in the other end as it probably would qualify as a main event at the WWE. Finally wore him down, so he co-operates now--still doesn't really like it but knows it's happening! He's 208 pounds so a little more of a handful than the average bunny.

You have to be confident when picking him up. Training with treats is a good way to build his trust but it takes a lot of patience.

Covering a rabbits eyes when they feel scared is a good way to calm them down. Using a towel or a long sleeved shirt is highly recommended

I am seeing some progress. He will still try to kick me with all of his might for a second, then relaxes, but will still have that look of rage in his face. Lol. Also, he isn't darting off when I put him down. I guess I will have to accept that he will never allow me to pick him up and let me cuddle him, but that's ok. I'm happy with where he's at now. Thank you for the advice!

Latest posts

Back