Tips on how to litter train baby bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siaan10

Reaction score
I got a baby bunny about a week ago, just looking for some advice and tips on how to litter train her? I got a litter tray for rabbits, put care fresh bedding in it and hay for her to eat because I hear they like to eat while they use it but she has mistaken it for a comfy bed and poops everywhere excepts for in the litter tray. Any advice or tips would be a huge help :) Thanks

She's only 4 weeks old. Don't expect too much. Sometimes babies train, sometimes they don't. But even those that do train, may forget that training once hormones kick in anyway. Once she's spayed, the training usually falls into place without effort.

Training is mostly about the urine. If she's peeing in the box, the poos will eventually follow. The urine is what smells so bad. An adult rabbit's poo is odorless and easy enough to sweep up. They may do most of the poos in the litter box, but it is the rare rabbit that gets 100% of the poos in the box. 100% urine? yes.

As for lounging in the litter box, that's pretty common. No worries.

Systematically put the poos she made somewhere else in the litterbox and clean urine with white vinegar. Then, be very patient ^^. Like Blue eyes said, she's very young. And in a few weeks hormones will kick in and probably mess up whatever headway she made on that front (not always, Aki was always a neat freak and never made a single drop of urine outside of her box in 8 years but in my experience, she's unfortunately an exception... most of my teenage bunnies were awful little piggies). Post-spay females are generally pretty clean though.

I personally use horse stall pellets as litter, as they aren't cozy and my rabbits won't use the litter box to sleep. They are $5 for a 40 pound bag, so they last a long time. I recommend putting a hay rack right by the litter tray, where the bunny can only eat the hay from the tray. Any time the bunny pees outside of the tray, clean it up with a paper towel and drop it in the tray. Then spray the place where the bunny had the accident with a vinegar water mixture. I put two parts white vinegar, to one part water in a spray bottle. Spray every time he or she has an accident and wipe it up, along with putting poos in the litter tray where they belong. It just takes persistence. As soon as you see an accident, clean it with vinegar water. Eventually he or see will get it. :)

Latest posts

Back