What cage should I buy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illistration

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to this forum and rabbit topics. I used to own hamsters, so I know that good cage sizes and proper safety regulations should be used when owning rabbits too. On topic, what indoor cage could I use? I've been searching everywhere on the internet, but most sources are for outside bunnies, not inside. I don't have a specific budget, but a high quality yet cheap cage would be perfect.

Thanks, Illistration

In my general experience of life, high quality is never cheap ^^. Most of the cages sold are not really good for rabbits. The smallest acceptable cage for rabbits is 1m long, so you have the space for the litter box and for the rabbit to lay down and jump a bit, but I would only use that if the rabbit was free to roam outside of it often. My rabbits have one like that, but they are only in it at night (so about 8 hours a day). If you plan to leave your rabbit inside of it for longer, it might be a good idea to consider a run attached to a cage or to build your own like this:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=rabbit+cage+build+your+own&rlz=1C1BLWB_enFR602FR602&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwif2dSX-tHTAhXCfxoKHRR8AkQQ_AUICygC&biw=1094&bih=511

It's economical and practical, as you can really adapt it to your space. Still, the rabbit should be let out of it for at least 4 or 5 hours a day, so you'll have to bunny-proof at least one room where your rabbit will be able to move around.
Also, it's important that the cage is made so that the rabbit can enter and jump out of the cage on his own, and that there is no railings on the bottom part of the opening (where the rabbit jumps to get in and out of the cage) as it is known to cause accidents and break paws...

Hello! I am new to this forum and rabbit topics. I used to own hamsters, so I know that good cage sizes and proper safety regulations should be used when owning rabbits too. On topic, what indoor cage could I use? I've been searching everywhere on the internet, but most sources are for outside bunnies, not inside. I don't have a specific budget, but a high quality yet cheap cage would be perfect.

Thanks, Illistration

I have to say, I really like my NIC cage, except for the floor mess which I'm dealing with, as I have a particularly messy little bunny. But every other rabbit I've had, have been very clean, and it's nice to customize your cage, and the size on a budget.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/rabbit-cages-cubes.asp

They have 30" x 36" inch cages that is more than enough room. Unless one had Flemish Giants. Putting two together would double the size. Or one could simply buy some cage wire 1"x1"x48" for top and sides. 1"x1/2" for the floor and build there own Using j-clips and j clip pliers. Which would be a lot cheaper and very custom.

Exercise pens are easier and cheaper. That's what we do here :)

Latest posts

Back