Checkered Giants ready to come home but dilemma strikes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeniseJP

Reaction score
Got the call this evening- would have been able to get the Checkered Giants next weekend (May 30th)...but today, on my way to our local parade, hauling a horse trailer with Mercy inside, the brakes blew - going down hill.

After a slightly scary moment, I got the truck under control and made it to the parade... but I am so disappointed I cannot make the trip - we had a quote last week of $1000 to fix the brakes and we were going to wait until we got paid... but that was before the brake line blew. It made a mess at the parking lot I made it to, and Tim followed me home.

I can catch a ride to work...but a trip to Ohio is out of the question... :-( The breeder is busy the two weekends after that so there is nothing I can do.

One litter was born February 10th, one March 4th (my mom's birthday) and the other April 24th... and there is one beautifully marked doe....

Wish the bunny railroad had a fork from OH to NY somehow... so close, yet so far...

Denise

Oh man, I'm glad you're ok! How scary. I'm sorry that you wont be able to pick your bun up. If I was anywhere near I could help out.

OH NO! That's awful! I'm so glad you guys are ok. We had a terrible truck w/ trailer and car crash near us recently - it was one of the kids from our 4H area. (luckily horses are ok)...

That's always such a worry. How big is your trailer? I have a 3 horse stock combo with a dressing room - steel. It's heavy. People don't realize how hard it is to stop with horses on board either..... I can't imagine driving without brakes! You poor thing!

I wish I could help you get the bunny. How disappointing!

Wow....lucky nothing serious happened to you and that you all are ok

not being able to get the bunnies must be a bit of a let down though

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad you are ok, that must have been scary!! Poor Mercy, I'm so glad she's ok also. I'm so sorry about the buns though. I wish I could help, but I can't drive yet (I'm 14 :) )

I'm not sure what part of Ohio they're in, but if you decide to try to set up a travel-train or something, I can drive about a four-hour radius of Toledo if someone pitches in for gas :p

Thank you...we are OK but it was not a fun experience. Mercy shook herself off and went on to do the parade without a second thought. Me- I could have used Depends as I almost soiled myself...

The buns are close to Cincinnati... I can get to the PA/NY border with Andy's car but it would not hold up to a long distance trip to our final destination.

My truck went into the shop today... can hardly wait for the bill but the good news is that Mercy and I are OK, we did not hit anyone else and in the grand scheme of things, I feel pretty doggone fortunate. Another friend of mine - my former blacksmith who drove from New Hampshire to trim my horses, passed away this past weekend from pancreatic cancer. She called me and left me a message two weeks ago - I tried to call her back twice but it was her goodbye to me.

I will get my Checkered Giants... and thanks for listening to my whining (cheese and crackers gladly served with it). You guys rock!

Denise

Bo B Bunny wrote:
OH NO! That's awful! I'm so glad you guys are ok. We had a terrible truck w/ trailer and car crash near us recently - it was one of the kids from our 4H area. (luckily horses are ok)...

That's always such a worry. How big is your trailer? I have a 3 horse stock combo with a dressing room - steel. It's heavy. People don't realize how hard it is to stop with horses on board either..... I can't imagine driving without brakes! You poor thing!

I wish I could help you get the bunny. How disappointing!

Luckily, my trailer is a bumper pull two horse - not real heavy. It is on the slated to be replaced list as it was made back in 1975 and needs a lot of updates.

I made it to the repair shop... hubby and I mapped out a route and got there safely this evening. Driving without brakes is not something I want to do again anytime soon.

Denise

Oh man! How scary! I'm glad you are both okay!
Sorry to hear about your not getting your checkers when planned. That's a real bummer. I wish I could help out but I'm not in that area. Heck, I don't even have my license yet. :p

Being stuck up in a peninsula has it's downsides when it comes to dilemmas like this. I wish I could help. But I'm glad you and Mercy are ok. I haven't driven a truck (with or without a trailer!) with no brakes, but the brakes on my car went out at an intersection so I feel your fear. I hope you get your rabbits soon!

Mine is a bumper pull also. I wish I had a nice 2 horse gooseneck with tack and living quarters! :zzzzz< That's me, dreaming LOL!

Is your truck standard tranny or automatic? How on earth did you drive it?

It is an automatic... has 2nd and 1st and down the hills I did 1st. The tranny was not happy taking up the works of the brakes but I am here to tell about it and Mercy is here to raise heck in the pen. :)

Hubby says I have front brakes but it does not feel like it. It is a Ford 250 diesel and I just love it...even though she's 9 years old. She's at the mechanic's garage now, waiting for a fix.

Denise

I drive an OLD F250 when I hault my trailer... it's like a '91 or something and it's been through a lot, but it's a good old truck! I've got to have my trailer brakes checked - my doodad thing that is in the dash isn't showing them working.... not sure why. Need to take it over to my Bro inlaw's work..... he actually sells and repairs them!

Lexi and I were talking about Weatherly last night on the way to the clinic... she said "ya know, that Denise sure does sound a lot like us!" LOL!

Yeah, rabbit and horse people are a lot alike - too bad no one else in my family likes horses although Andy likes the rabbits....

Denise

Got my truck back... almost $1100.00 later and have to wait to replenish my Checkered Giant fund before I make the trip... it will have to be in another 2-3 weeks.

At least I can get the giant hutches finished - Andy and Tim are going to help me with them.

Denise

Latest posts

Back