Newborn bunnies fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reda7x

Reaction score
Hello, first of all, I apologise for my lousy english, it's not my first language, I'll try to explain my situation the best I can. :)
It's my first time caring for baby bunnies, I was surprised with a litter of 6 bunnies although the smallest one died on it's second day. :(
I am now left with 5 babies, some smaller than the others but in general they all seem well fed and taken care of, they are now 9 days old. I have a few questions concerning two of my babies regarding their fur, I've noticed that these two only have fur on their back making some sort of triangle shape and almost no fur on their tummy, sides and face. Their other three siblings have fur all over their bodies evenly.Should I be concerned? Their behaviour doesnt seem all that different from the others although they do move a little less compared to the other three.

TMPDOODLE1503772767074.jpg

TMPDOODLE1503774196939.jpg

TMPDOODLE1503774293913.jpg

IMG_20170826_184636.jpg

IMG_20170826_184613.jpg

If the fur doesn't grow back by the time they start scooting around talk to a vet.
I wouldn't be to concerned about it as some rabbits are born with very little hair, just make sure they are warm enough and eating well.

This fur pattern is actually very charicteristic for a Lionhead rabbit and is completely normal as long as the parents are lionheads or lionhead mixes

I spoke too soon before the photos loaded. I’m not too sure about the missing fur on the face let me do some research

Aw theyre so adorable and that is totally fine! you got lucky and got a few double mane lionheads which means theyre gonna be a little more fluffy than their brothers and sisters that are growing hair normally, these are either single mane or no mane depending on the breed of the parents. You are going to have amazing double mane lionheads which is the best!! they grwo normal fuzz in some areas and the areas with no hair grow some kind of wool. That is actually the only way to tell single mane from double mane apart for sure, with that hair pattern which is only there the first few days after being born. Good luck!!

Back