Small, dark coloured poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloe-trash

Reaction score
So while Briar was freeroaming today, I noticed that her poop was small and darker than usual. Google says this can be GI stasis or a sign of not enough fiber/hay.

I went away for the weekend and I think my mom may not have given her hay while I was gone and I was wondering if that could be the cause? She is drinking and eating fine in fact she spent most of her out-of-cage time sittin on the hay bale. I've just set it up so that the bale is by her pen so she can reach her nose through the bars and eat as much as she wants from it.

I also changed her litterbox and will be watching it to see if she recovers but I want to check if her going a few days without hay might be the issue.

Yes, restricted fiber from not getting her usual hay can certainly cause a rabbit's poop to get smaller and darker, and risk GI stasis setting in, especially if she didn't also get an increase in pellets to make up for the lack of hay. As long as she is eating her hay well now, I would just continue to keep a close eye on her eating, drinking, and poop, to make sure her poop consistency continues to improve. If her eating slows down and or her poop continues to get smaller and harder, then it's time to consider getting her to the vet so you can get her on a gut stimulant.

One thing you may want to consider changing, at least for now as you want her eating as much hay as possible, is if her only access to her hay is through the cage bars, that can add a difficulty factor to rabbits consuming their hay. The easier it is for them to access it, the more they are inclined to eat. I would suggest throwing some hay in her litter box as well. I try and put it in a corner they don't tend to pee on.

Yeah I do keep hay in her litterbox as well because she dug out anything else I used, thank you for the help. She does seem to be improving already but I'll be able to check when I get home from work. Thank you so much for the quick reply <3

I wanted to let you guys know since I forgot to yesterday

Briar is doing much better already!

She seems to be feeling great and everything is back to normal again. c: Thank you guys for the help

It happens everytime I'm out of town. I have a good petsitter but she only comes twice a day to give hay and it's not as exciting as having fresh hay 6 or 7 times a day like when I'm at home. Generally, it gets better in one day or two after I come back (I came back late yesterday after 5 days and both of my rabbits have smaller darker poops than normal as well).

just a thought since you said you put hay in the litter box since she dug out anything else you put in there. Is she digging the hay out of what you put in to hold the hay or digging to move the item you used for holding the hay?

All of my buns have hay racks but they are items I found at different places that work as hay racks but not made for that. Either metal or hard plastic crates or basket type items. I hung their hay racks using shower curtain hooks that close completely. They cost about $2 and are sold at most stores. Now and then one will pop open but only because my two boys are both large rabbits and both like to sit with their front half in the hay rack, one even uses his to jump out of the high side of his litter box.

She doesnt really dig out the hay it's the litter she would play in. I tried using plain newspaper, paper pellets, and that carefresh stuff and all of it Briar would dig out onto the floor @-@ Hay is the only thing she leaves in the litterbox

She doesnt really dig out the hay it's the litter she would play in. I tried using plain newspaper, paper pellets, and that carefresh stuff and all of it Briar would dig out onto the floor @-@ Hay is the only thing she leaves in the litterbox

I use Feline Pine, it's a hard pine pellet and safe to use.
I also had the issue of my large English Lop digging out the litter, this stuff is heavier and stays down much easier. It also is much more absorbant than the other paper stuff or bun specific stuff which means it will last longer. I use a layer of that to cover the bottom of the box just enough, no higher than half an inch, if even. Then I add my hay to the top of that on a corner or half of it. He usually eats most of it and uses the rest as litter. I usually add more every day or occasionally other day if I put in a larger amount than usual. And the hay rack is just above the litter box so he can sit there and just eat lol.

Latest posts

Back