Urgent! Please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prapti

Reaction score
I'm a newbie, but I did all my research before getting a rabbit. He's been with me a month now and has been getting along great. Today, I fed him a couple pieces of Apple, nothing new, he gets them as treats. Suddenly,he turned away and started wheezing. I thought at first that he was choking, but he didn't scrape his face or sneeze at all. There is also no drooling. Later, I found out that the knife I used to cut his apples were used to cut a bittergourd before. Could it be that he's reacting like this to strong and bitter taste? I would have done the heimlich, but I'm not sure he's choking. Please help! He's now hiding in his box and continuously breathing loudly and making squeaky sounds.

That's really not normal. A strong taste wouldn't cause wheezing especially continuing for more than a few seconds. I would more suspect that something is stuck in his throat or went the wrong way down. I would take him to the vet asap (by that, I mean today, phone the vet and say it's an emergency) if he is still making abnormal sounds. Rabbits have weak hearts and even a big stress from not being able to breath right might kill him.

i would suggest a vet visit in this case. i really don't think the bitter taste will cause a bun to wheez

Latest posts

Back