Indoor or out?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfieREX

Reaction score
Hello, just looking for a little advice. I totally understand that there is a lot of favour for indoor buns on this forum so please bare with me. Looking to move my bun inside. At the moment he is used to a large double hutch with 6ft X 6ft run attached which he gets full roam of for at least 14hrs a day (it also has levels etc so the actually floor space he has to explore is more than this). He is also in the house with me in the evenings provided that the temp change isn't massive (we have large patio doors that are open so he can play inside without the temperature change really.) But I'm thinking about moving him indoors over winter and keeping him in permenantely because I just think this will socially be much better for him. I was thinking about converting a large dog crate for him to live in (photos attached of what I'm thinking of).
View attachment 1

View attachment 7384d2792800bfe791cfcde9672fff8b--storage-cubes-baskets-for-storage.jpg

But this would be where he would have to stay closed in during the day while I am at work and he would get out to roam 3/4 rooms in the house in the evening. The alternative is to create a large shed & run lean-to against our garage when we get the new one put up(photos attached of similar idea)

View attachment FB_IMG_1506251284898.jpg

Just wondered what people's thoughts are on this? Is it too cruel to keep him in a smaller enclosure like the dog crate for too much of the day or do people find this works for them?

Thanks,laura

Hello, I advise you against what I see in the first photo. That would be fine for a chinchilla or a squirrel, but rabbits are made to make small jumps (even if they can jump high when the occasion calls for it) and run in a straight line, not live in a tower like cage. The problem will get worse as the rabbit ages as it takes a real effort for the rabbit to go from one place to another. There are cages with plateformes which work but they are a lot larger than this to offer a bigger space horizontally speaking.
I advocate rabbits living inside, as I think it helps to create a better bond with them and I know they are exposed to less risks that way, so I encourage you to try. It's not always possible (or advisable) to have the rabbit out all day in the whole house, but the best solution I think is either to bunny proof a room closed with a door or a (high) baby gate which will be the rabbit's room when you are not there (that's of course the nicest solution for the rabbit and bunny proofing one room effectively is generally do-able with reasonnable efforts, that's what I did when I lived with my parents as they have a cat whose ultimate dream was to eat them) ; or, if it's not possible, to attach a run made with modulable cubes to a cage or even to do a large cage with enough space on the floor for the rabbit to move around comfortably with them. There are some examples of settings made by members on the forum if you do a search. The cost is really reasonnable and it's not hard to do (even I succeeded in making a run / cage for Tybalt with those when I got him as he was a baby and had to be separated from Aki before getting neutered and god knows I suck at DIY things ^^).

Hi Aki, sorry for taking so long to reply and thanks for the advice. What I posted is just an example of the kind of thing. In reality what I am actually looking at is probably more something like that but on it's side with 1 level and a ramp going up to it. This would also have a run/pen attached to it which Marty would have access to when we are not in the house then he would have run of 2 large rooms in the house while we are around to keep an eye on him (usually 4-5hrs in the evening, and most of the day at the weekends). Can you suggest what would be best to line an indoor cage. I will still use paper or something to line his litter tray but don't really want to put typical outdoor hutch bedding all the way through his living area. I've heard fleece is ok? Is this just ordinary fleece you can buy at craft stores etc? Thanks

Your plan sounds fine :) For the lining, you don't have to put anything on the floor of the cage. Most rabbits like to be directly on the plastic of cages or on the floor as it helps them to keep cool when the temperatures are a bit high. Things like fleece or carpet are possible but really hard to clean, they tend to get covered in hair and are disgusting if your rabbit has an accident (spilled water, urine, cecotrophes...) or eats vegetables on it. Also, a lot of rabbits will eat that. If you need a bottom part for your cage area, I would chose something like linoleum which is kinda soft and easy to keep clean. Actually, the best would probably be a mix with linoleum under and around the litterbox and in the 'dining area' and a soft part like fleece somewhere in the run where the rabbit will be able to lay down without getting it dirty, and a part where you will leave the normal floor bare. In the litterbox, wood pellets are the best in my opinion - they are cheap and a lot more absorbant than paper which would probably smell bad and stay wet (the rabbit would probably eat it too) which allows you to change the box only every 4 days or so.

Brilliant. Thanks for your help, I actually have lino left over from re flooring my bathroom so i will use that! :) would you fix it down with anything? Will it do him any harm if he chews it? Sorry for so many question, my rabbits have always been outdoors so this is quite new to me!
Do you mind if I ask how long you have had rabbits? You seem to have lots of knowledge, is there somewhere in particular that you get your information or is it from experience and chatting to people on the forums?

You don't want the rabbit chewing (and ingesting) lino. Just be sure the edges are inaccessible. If needed, a 1x2 piece of wood could be cut to hold the edges down and out of bunnies reach.

Ramps typically aren't needed and just take up valuable space. Rabbits can simply hop up to an upper shelf.

Some rabbits may have a difficult time walking on lino. Most are fine with it. Depends on your rabbit.

Also, have you seen the photos of other indoor housing at this thread?
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=87073

Last edited:
That's for all your help!! :) here is phase one of his 'safe space' (where he will go at night or when we can't check back on him). He will get access to the whole room for about 4-6 hrs a day though. Especially during the early morning and evening. He sleeps most of the middle of the day anyway :) I still need to add his upper level but any other suggestions accepted. :) he doesn't like the rabbit bed I put in for him though. Any ideas for what to put in his bed/hide box so it's not just the plastic or wooden base he is on?

View attachment 20171104_153801.jpg

Looks great so far!

Do you have another shot of the area with the litter box and hidey house? Is that a wooden hay dispenser between the litter box and hidey?

My rabbits tended to be rather particular about which pet beds they would use. They seemed to ignore or destroy some types and happily use others. I never could pre-guess which ones they would like.

Folded fleece fabric could be an option for the hidey hut. It may be a bit of trial & error to see what your bunny will like/use.

Thanks. I'm quite pleased with it. Marty is pretty tentative though and been hiding in his wee house pretty much all afternoon. We went out for a walk a wee while ago though just to leave the house quite for a bit and when we got back he had eaten the food and had something to drink to he is definitely venturing out when it's quiet.

I will get another shot of it tomorrow. I'm trying to leave him in peace for tonight. It is a wooden gay dispenser though, I have this shot if it helps?
View attachment 20171104_154918.jpg

I will try some fleece tomorrow, thanks. I don't want him to be uncomfy tonight but I think he would be happier not being disturbed for now.

Latest posts

Back