How much banana (or other fruit) can my bun have daily?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Moby_

Reaction score
I give Moby (three months old) an 1/8" slice of a banana every morning, and a similarly sized slice of apple in the evening.

Can I give him more? I know bananas are higher and sugar and need to be moderated, but how much is too much?

Generally, I would not offer any treats to a rabbit until they have been transitioned to a daily diet that includes 2+ cups of greens. Those greens need to be introduced slowly and gradually over a period of weeks.

If your bunny is already on a diet that includes daily greens, then it is fine to offer the fresh fruit as a treat. The general rule of thumb is no more than 1 tablespoons worth per day (up to 2 for larger bunnies). One slice of apple would fill that quote, or about a 1" slice of banana. I would also count carrots in that "treat" category.

I should also mention that not all rabbits can tolerate daily treats. Some have a much more sensitive tummy and can get mushy poos if fed daily treats. In those cases, a person may limit them to a couple per week, one per week, or even less - depending on the bunny.

If you'd like to see how to transition to daily greens, you can check here.

:yeahthat: Also, most rabbits tend to gain weight really easily and it's hard to make them lose it once it's there. The last thing is that you want your rabbit to eat hay, a ton of it. The older your rabbit gets the more important it is. So he needs to be hungry for it, don't offer too many things outside of his normal pellets / vegetables meals.

Latest posts

Back