New House/litter adjustment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea123

Reaction score
So the cage we first had our Nibbles in is too small for her. I bought a dog kennel and can make a second floor. Before now, she was use to wood shavings bedding and she did most of her pee and poo in one corner.

The new kennel now has fleece blanket bottom to it. I bought her a litter box that I added Yesterday's News litter (she is not used before) and some bedding (which she is use to). I put the litter in the same corner as she use to do her business in her old cage. Yesterday was her first day/night in the cage. She peed and pooed everywhere! Figuring with a new environment she was stressed (Felt like I was a horrible Mommy), but know this is a new adjustment for both of us. So today I removed all the blankets... washed them and put them back in. I read somewhere to keep the top floor closed off until she is used to her new place and where her litter box is. that was she won't pee and poo on the upper level too. She figured out to get up on the second level anyway. Since then I made a new adjustment so she can't get up there.

I have been picking up her poo pellets and placing them in her litter so she knows where they are suppose to go (read that online). I also sopped up some pee with a paper towel and placed it in the litter so the scent would let her know that the litter is where she pees (Suggestion from a Utube video). The pee part seems to be working but the pellets are still around on the bottom/main floor. Maybe I am stressing out more than bun. Would love to hear from others how long it took their buns to adjust to a new surrounding and what you did to help them.

Also does anyone else use a dog kennel converted to a 2 floor bunny flat???

I am a new Bun Mommy and I know there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here and would welcome ALL suggestions and recommendations!

I have TONS of hay in front of her litter box as I know bunnies like to munch on hay while they do their business.

Thanks so much!

Andrea and Nibbles!

Perfectly normal for a rabbit to mark a new cage/territory with poos. If she's getting the urine in the right place, the rest will follow (mostly). Just give her time. I wouldn't even pick up all the poos right away -- not for the first several days. She is trying to establish that new cage as her territory (which is a good thing!!). By cleaning up too much, it makes her feel she has to re-mark.

There are photos somewhere here on RO of converted dog crates. (Do you mean dog crate or exercise pen?)

I could not quickly find images of dog crates on this forum. However if you google images for "dog crate for rabbit cage," you will see plenty of examples of converted dog crates. The XL crates are preferable. Attaching an exercise pen to the crate for more permanent space would be even better.

Latest posts

Back