With young kits how can you tell if the kits are a buck or doe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now that is really interesting. I am going to have to go home and try this.

I have heard that the teats on a baby doe are noticable. not sure how true that is and haven't used that method. I usually wait until they are old enough and sex them then, I don't figure it matters what sex they are as newborns.

It is possible to even sex newborns, but excellent eyesight isnecessary :)

For very young rabbits, the distance between the genitals and the rectum is the easiest way to tell. Does connect very closely, where bucks have a littlemore of a space.

For the older kits, scissor the tail between your first and second fingers and gently press in front of the genitalia to expose it. Does will have a slanted "taco" appearance, where baby bucks will have a tiny protruding round"donut".

Since it is very easy to bruise and damage the genitals, do take care in attempting to sex them at a young age.

Occasionally kitsare mis-sexed even by the experts, so there's no way to be 100% certain, even with olderkits. Bucks with split penis (hypospadias) often appear to be does even up to 4 months of age. (The reason it is helpful to also observe the spacing between the genitals and rectum).

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Occasionally kitsare mis-sexed even by the experts, so there's no way to be 100% certain, even with olderkits. Bucks with split penis (hypospadias) often appear to be does even up to 4 months of age. (The reason it is helpful to also observe the spacing between the genitals and rectum).

Pam
Thanks Pam! I really struggle with this part of breeding and I know part of it is that my eyes aren't that great.... So to see that even the experts can make mistakes makes me feel much better....

Peg

Back