Bald spot and scab behind new bunnys ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelbel27

Reaction score
I recently brought home a bunny and she seems to have a bald spot and a scan behind her ears on her neck. I got a hot spot topical spray and I use it about four times a day. It seems to sooth her when I use it. Is there anything else I can do to help? Is this the right thing to do? I've checked for mites and have found nothing. image.jpg

Mites can't be seen by the naked eye although they're usually associated with dry flaky skin. The scar could indicate that the area has received an injury and the hair loss has something to do with that. Otherwise there are also fungal infections that cause hair loss as well. If it were me, I'd be taking her to the vet to get a skin scraping done on the area to see what's going on. It's always good to take any new pet to the vet for a check up in any case. :)

There is a couple very small dry skin like areas on the back of her ear. I'll take her to the vet and get her checked out.

ivermectin is also used for mites. find on the i-net, given orally. make sure you understand the dosage,, 0,05-0.09mls given once a week for 3 weeks... no vet visit needed..

I personally would never give ivermectin without a dose from a vet based on body condition score. Ivermectin is quite toxic and just a little bit in excess can cause seizures, head tilts, and death.

Let us know how she does at the vet! Her picture is super cute!

Do you happen to have any other rabbits? My rex had this exact same problem.. turned out when they hump each other they like to have a good nibble too.. mines healed really fast and the hair is growing over nicely now.

I can't see in the picture very well, but if your rabbit was with another bunny that is one of the spots where they tend to over groom and make bald spots. If the skin is flakey or red I would think it could be mites. I've used Revolution for cats for mites and can go to my vet and the vet tech told me how to dose it without me having to see the vet. Revolution is supposed to be pretty safe.

Also, I'm not sure what is in a hot spot topical spray but anything you put on a rabbit, you have to google each ingredient until you are certain its not poisonous to rabbits. Things you can put on cats or dogs may be toxic to your rabbit so unless it says for rabbits I would not use it.

Latest posts

Back