Plastic bag digestion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishaB

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and found a plastic bag partially pulled through my rabbits cage. There is a whole about 1 inch in circumference missing. I am not able to stay home and watch him, I am so worried. I swept his area so I can check if he has popped today. I did not get to clean out his litter box before I left. He was eating hay and drinking water this morning. Is there anything else I can do?

Plenty of hay is the best thing for him. Refresh the hay even if it isn't gone in the cage. That will encourage more hay eating. As long as he is still pooping well, then he should be fine. That size should be able to pass.

Thank you. I just ran home and changed his litter box, he did pee. He has also eaten a lot of hay so I refreshed it. I hope it passes, I am really worried.

Yup as blue eyes said
Hay and water
New hay as often as possible so its "fresh" and exciting.
You can even try putting in a bowl of water spiked with a bit of apple or pineapple juice to encourage extra drinking.

He was acting normal when I got home. He did use his litter box when I got home. Does the size or amount matter? He didn't act like he was in pain while he was going potty, and he was eating hay while he was, which is normal. He continued to eat hay afterwards also. What should I look for?

In terms of what to look for, everything you've already been looking for! Eating is the big one, so eating hay is great! Most rabbits (with healthy GI's) have foods move through in 22 hours at the slow end, less than that for smaller or easily digestible foods (a bag may take longer). So long as he is pooping and eating, you shouldn't need to worry. If his poops suddenly get small or he stops, go to the vet. Otherwise, he's probably fine (my own rabbits get into a lot of random items they really shouldn't so I'd think your bun will be fine). Keep us updated!

Levi is well. He pooped a lot yesterday evening, and was eating and drinking. Thank you all for your help. :)

Latest posts

Back