Strange skin spot /scab

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehaf

Reaction score
I just noticed this skin spot on the upper back of my 6 year old rabbit, in the shoulder area. She's an indoor bunny with no contact with other animals.

Abrasion? Skin cancer? I know, I should take her to a vet, but thought I would see if anyone here has seen something like this before.

Thanks.

IMG_3362.jpg

She doesn't have this anywhere else? The wound being on the shoulder, it could be mites (Cheyletiella). Or it could just be a normal abrasion. Animals always find ways to hurt themselves when we are not looking.
I would look at her completely (especially around the tail) to make sure there is nothing else. If you don't find anything, you can disinfect with a bit of betadine or biseptine (don't know if they are under the same name were you are) and look at it everyday. If it disappear, it's just a normal wound. If it doesn't or, worse, if it spread, it's probably a parasite and you'll need a treatment for it.
Skin cancer is not all that frequent in rabbits. It's often a spread of another cancer (often, uterine cancer in intact rabbits as it's the most common - considering her age, your rabbit is very much at risk if she wasn't spayed, the risk is around 80%) and from what I've seen it's generally more of a lump (something like an abscess). I've not seen cancers looking like your photo, but I might be wrong on that.

Thanks for the reply, Aki.

I have not noticed anything anywhere else, but will have to do a more thorough check.

I'll keep an eye on it and pick up some betadine, for now.

She doesn't have this anywhere else? The wound being on the shoulder, it could be mites (Cheyletiella). Or it could just be a normal abrasion. Animals always find ways to hurt themselves when we are not looking.
I would look at her completely (especially around the tail) to make sure there is nothing else. If you don't find anything, you can disinfect with a bit of betadine or biseptine (don't know if they are under the same name were you are) and look at it everyday. If it disappear, it's just a normal wound. If it doesn't or, worse, if it spread, it's probably a parasite and you'll need a treatment for it.
Skin cancer is not all that frequent in rabbits. It's often a spread of another cancer (often, uterine cancer in intact rabbits as it's the most common - considering her age, your rabbit is very much at risk if she wasn't spayed, the risk is around 80%) and from what I've seen it's generally more of a lump (something like an abscess). I've not seen cancers looking like your photo, but I might be wrong on that.

It's always hard to see what's hidden by the fur, but hopefully it's just that one spot.
I hope it's nothing! Those bunnies sure like to make us worry.

Recently, studies have shown that we really shouldn't use any antiseptics on wounds (turns out, just plain clean water is the best way to clean something), but to just let it be unless it's obviously infected. So I personally would not put any betadine, neosporine or anything else on it at this point.

Like Aki said look for any other spots and if it doesn't improve, take her to the vet. If it is moist or gets smelly, take her to the vet. Otherwise, I'd just monitor her.

It may just be a scratch but given the area it's in, it could be fur mites. If the latter, it will get worse and you'll start to see flaky skin too. A visit to the vet to get Revolution will clear it up if it's mites.

Latest posts

Back