It's for the birds...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent three weeks in Scotland with the Scouts at the Blair Atholl Jamborette this summer. Here are some bird pictures I took over there.

The European Robin is not related to the bird we have over here - our "Robin" is a thrush. The first European settlers in this country named a lot of our birds after whatever they had known back home which had somewhat similar characteristics. So, any bird with a red breast became a "Robin".

Robin on the Isle of Arran
torrighbeag-robin_5129-9189.jpg

Baby Robin
torrighbeag-babyrobin_5142-9188.jpg

A juvenile Gull and an Oystercatcher on the shore at King's Cave, Isle of Arran. Both of these birds are common shorebirds here in the States, as well.
gull-oystercatcher_5047-9190.jpg

A Gannet - this is a very large bird, with a six-foot wingspan. They nest in colonies of up to 250,000 birds on offshore rocks in Scotland.
gannet_5043-9191.jpg

A European Blackbird at Blair Atholl in Perthshire - again, not the same bird as our Blackbirds
blackbird_1995-9193.jpg

Song Thrush at Blair Atholl, busily hunting worms
songthrush_1750-9194.jpg

Finally, a furry bird to finish off with - the first Mountain Hare I've been able to capture photographically...
hare_4919-9192.jpg

Latest posts

Back