help with destructive buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peepers

Raven and Sterlings mom
Reaction score
I love Sterling and Raven but they are destroying everything and I don't know what to do, nothing helps!its at the point that I cannot let them out the the pen at all unless I am literally following there every step, staring at them. even being in the same room with them is not enough, the SECOND they think they have a chance they start shredding my drywall. furniture blocking it? they jump climb up the furniture and chew the wall above it. chew deterrents? zero effect. follow them around and correct them? walk away for half a second, pause turn around and do it again. no matter how many times I correct them or re-direct them, they don't care. they have lots of appropriate things available to chew on, makes no difference. Sterling is neutered, Raven is NOT spayed, but do to health reasons she CANNOT be spayed at this time(possibly in the future but that is not a guarantee at this point). I am at my wits end, they are going stir crazy being locked up in the pen all the time(its a good size pen, but still). the only help I can seem to find anywhere is "spay the female" which is not helpful advise!

Buy more x-pens and connect them all together to create a much larger area for running around. That way the walls are blocked off and they have a safe area to run around (hopefully).

Buy more x-pens and connect them all together to create a much larger area for running around. That way the walls are blocked off and they have a safe area to run around (hopefully).

It seems like your rabbits are addicted to the taste or consistency of drywall. I've seen this with dogs as well, some of them start chewing a corner and next they're chewing holes in the drywall any time they can reach it. Sometimes chewing chalk or drywall can be caused by a mineral deficiency. It may be an idea to talk to your vet or research mineral supplements for rabbits.

I'm planning how to rabbit proof my living area for my soon to be house rabbit, Flemish Giant Saoirse. I'm going to use CC cube squares to build barriers to block off areas that can't be rabbit proofed, such as the area around my TV and AV equipment with many wires and cables. They are a lot cheaper than the commercial puppy pens, and can be reinforced with 2x2 lumber which can be run through the openings in the wire near the top of the pen and tied in place with cable/zip ties. I built the pen for my two dogs with CC cubes and lumber because one of them likes to launch herself at the side of the pen when she's excited.

We use plastic baby gates that connect together. When we let them out in a room we put them against the wall and block the door off with one. This has worked greatly. All of my rabbits, with exception of two of my girls, are neutered and spayed and its the ones who are fixed that are the most destructive. So I'm no sure how much that has to do with it. But the gates are great and the are about $55 at Wal-Mart (a small price compared to having to redo walls and such) and you get 6 panels. They are called North States Superyard Classic 6-Panel Play Yard, Portable Indoor-Outdoor. Just unhook them and store them in a closet or in the garage when not in use. Good luck!

thanks guys :) I thank you for being sane about the spay/neuter thing, I swear some of the rabbit folks on Facebook are so rabid about it that they will insist spay/neuter is the only solution to all bad behavior lol, literally the only other option anyone offered was "make them outside bunnies" :rollseyes

I made a make shift mesh barrier around my walls for the moment, it seems to be helping but I will need to frame it or something to make it better lol

thanks guys :) I thank you for being sane about the spay/neuter thing, I swear some of the rabbit folks on Facebook are so rabid about it that they will insist spay/neuter is the only solution to all bad behavior lol, literally the only other option anyone offered was "make them outside bunnies" :rollseyes

I made a make shift mesh barrier around my walls for the moment, it seems to be helping but I will need to frame it or something to make it better lol

I believe places like Home Depot carry clear plastic corner protectors for walls. That might be an option to protect your walls as well.

Latest posts

Back