Kitten and Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buns16rouge

Reaction score
Hey I have a trio and wondered in the future If i was to get a kitten would they get along. Has anyone else done this. Same for a puppy?

It definitely depends on all parties involved. My cat got introduced to the bunnies when she was only 3 weeks old and was a little rambunctious with them at first. She did learn pretty quickly that she needed to be more careful with them. Four years later, she is still really gentle with them. But she's a very tolerant and obedient cat (like sits before we cross the street on her walks obedient). So I very much think it depends. The rabbits I had at the time were also very bold- so it was difficult for her to scare them.

It depends on the cat and how it is raised also on the rabbits as well with there flight instinct. I had my rats before I got my cats and so my older two are so use to small animals they dont think twice about them. Sometimes when the rats are out and running around they get interested but only watch them. My youngest cat though I think would try something I get him at 4 months and he was a stray so he has a little bit more of a hunting instinct. He has never tried anything but I keep an extra close eye on him because he does lightly try to tap them and I dont want to escalate. It all depends on the animals involved but the younger the kitten is the better adapted it will become to the rabbits. You never know my old rat and my oldest cat use to cuddle since my rat was 3lbs and my cat was 5lbs at the time.

I can also say from experience that they're like people, and not everyone will get along. But they all get along on different levels.

My Zelda and Stewart live in a big condo with attached pen, it's open all the time and they go in and out as they please. I also have four cats. Each has a different relationship with the bunnies.

Mitsou is my tiny Sphynx. Sphynx are weirdos anyway but Mitsou takes the cake. She thinks she's a rabbit (or guinea pig) and goes in to the rabbit and GP cages all the time, especially when I put their fresh hay out. Mitsou joins the group munching the hay, and eats almost as much as they do! They tolerate her as if she were another bunny, often sniffing noses or each other.

Yoko is my other Sphynx. She goes into the cages occasionally, mainly to drink a bit of water and hang out. The bunnies ignore her.

Thunder is my huge grey tabby, king of the roost. He has no interest in the bunnies and never goes near their cage.

Then there's Victor the Siamese. He's got a bit of a prey drive and often stares fixedly into the cages. Zelda made it crystal clear the first time she met him - "I know you're up to no good, and I'm having none of it!!" She grunted and rushed at him. Since then Victor sometimes goes near the cage to watch, but if Zelda notices him she does the rush and grunt, and he takes off!

Since most shared the cat side, I'll share the dog side.

Dogs and rabbits can often get along -- provided they are trained and provided both the dog and rabbit(s) are willing. Sometimes a dog has too much genetic disposition to overcome.

But puppies and rabbits don't mix well. Puppies see rabbits as fellow littermates which is not a good thing. They will try to "play" with the rabbit(s) the way they would play with litter mates. That means chewing on ears, tumbling on top of them, and general rough housing. When puppy is teething, they would definitely have to be kept completely separate. Those teeth are sharp as a pin and can easily puncture a rabbit's very thin skin.

Since most shared the cat side, I'll share the dog side.

Dogs and rabbits can often get along -- provided they are trained and provided both the dog and rabbit(s) are willing. Sometimes a dog has too much genetic disposition to overcome.

But puppies and rabbits don't mix well. Puppies see rabbits as fellow littermates which is not a good thing. They will try to "play" with the rabbit(s) the way they would play with litter mates. That means chewing on ears, tumbling on top of them, and general rough housing. When puppy is teething, they would definitely have to be kept completely separate. Those teeth are sharp as a pin and can easily puncture a rabbit's very thin skin.

I have two toy sized dogs, and even though one of my bunnies is bigger than the dogs, I would never allow them to run loose together. One of the dogs is part Jack/Parson Russell and has a thing about chasing squirrels outdoors. Even though she ignores the rabbits in their pen I wouldn't trust her alone with my rabbits.

I have two toy sized dogs, and even though one of my bunnies is bigger than the dogs, I would never allow them to run loose together. One of the dogs is part Jack/Parson Russell and has a thing about chasing squirrels outdoors. Even though she ignores the rabbits in their pen I wouldn't trust her alone with my rabbits.

Yeah. It is definitely a case by case.

We have large dogs but they are just great with the rabbits. The one in the video will chase the jackrabbits and cottontails outside in a heartbeat. But, as you can see, he doesn't bother our indoor rabbits-- even when Mocha tries to get his attention.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZs21i-w5us[/ame]

Latest posts

Back