Two litter mate doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyKobiec

Reaction score
I will soon be bringing home one or two litter mate Does. I was wondering being that these two Does are litter mates and still kits, can they be housed together or will their "together time" still have to be supervised?

There's no way to predict whether or not they will remain buddies. Once hormones activate, anything can happen. Even sibling females can turn on each other.

If aggression starts, then they do need to be separated. They would then need to remain separated until both have been spayed and healed. After that, one can re-introduce them in hopes of bonding them, but there are no guarantees.

If you think you would like a bonded pair of rabbits, then the best way to do that is to get an already bonded and already fixed pair from a rabbit rescue. Baby bunnies aren't recommended for first time bunny owners. It's far simpler and less headache (and expense) to get already fixed rabbits.

It's unpredictable. Male / female (of course neutered and spayed) works better than two females, even if the pairing is not impossible. Contrarily to what most people think being sibling matters really little to rabbits. They can get along initially and suddenly decide that they'd actually rather gut each other when the hormones kick in.
Also, be very careful : sexing young rabbits is not easy, there are a lot of mistakes and female rabbits can get pregnant really early (sometimes as early as 3 or 4 month old, which lead to a dead mother or / and dead kits).
In the end, I think it's easier to get an already bonded pair like blue eyes recommended or to get one baby, wait until their old enough to be desexed and then get another one from the opposite sex (preferably already neutered or spayed) to introduce to rabbit n°1.

Just in case you don't know : you will have to spay any female you get, intact female rabbits get phantom pregnancies, mastitis and uterine / ovarian cancer (80% of risks around 4 year old). The operation cost around 200$. Dont' take any female rabbit home if you don't intend to do this. That's not even talking about the behavioural problems (spraying red smelly urine, humping, territorial behavior including biting and scratching, leaving piles of poos outside of the litter box...)

I guess I should have added extra information in my first post...
I have owned rabbits before, but not more than one at a time.

Also the breeder I am getting these rabbits from is no ammature. She has been breeding rabbits for years and has been showing rabbits as well. These rabbits are handled by her and her children so they are already human friendly (unlike the last breeder I went to who could care less about their buns).

To add, I have had an unneutered buck before. He didn't spray unless a dog came near him.
The hormonal behavior thing really seems to all around depend on the bunny based on experience and what you guys have told me.

The exotic vets by me charge 300-400 USA dollars.
My last bun wasnt neutered because he didn't need it. If anything he got sweeter but that was him. He was a very abnormal bun compared to what others had.

Thank you for the advice about housing two litter mate doe together. In the end, I have learned to keep a second cage on hand and neuter the girls.

Latest posts

Back