Deterring flies outdoors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
One of my rabbits was attacked by fly strike. We have had them outdoors for 4 years and this never happened before. I decided to seriously fight flies this summer.
Any (safe for rabbits) suggestions?
Anyone tried that stuff that promises good results but with pungent smell? Does it work? how bad is the smell? Would it be an issue for other animals (birds, etc)?

You could try citronella candles- they work wonders indoors. But they only really work when you are burning them. So it might be an issue.

I used to get disposable fly traps at a "Horse Tack" store. They smelled, which is why they worked on the flies and were disposable after a couple of weeks they needed replacing (full, almost). They could be hung up, so no issue with animals. Maybe a small opening bit of screening might help too if the mesh is fine enough.

vanilla car fresheners (out of bunnies reach of course) work well to get rid of flies, i use vanilla extract mixed with water in a spray bottle and spray in the chicken coop to keep the flies out of there, rosemary and mint are also some good ways to get rid of flies (plus, all of these suggestions smell really good lol)

thank you guys!
Nancy, are those smelly traps safe to use around wild birds? I have birds nesting in the trees, don't want them to leave because of the smell/
Is smell not bothering bunnies?

I should try vanilla car freshener, thanks for idea!

Back