Devastated- Bunnies can't move from NZ to Australia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nini

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you can help!

I recently accepted a job in Australia, thinking that rabbits could be exported to Australia from NZ. It seems that this is no longer the case.
The DAFF (Aus) website says that rabbits can be imported from NZ. But it seems they have recently changed their rules and MPI (NZ) have revoked their export certificate for rabbits, meaning they can no longer leave. I am trying to see if this can be rectified. Anyone have any clever ideas or prior experience?

But, I suspect I will have to leave my Dexter and Rita behind. Does anyone know of a potential loving home they could go to in the Auckland area? (hopefuly it doesn't come to this)

I am gutted by the thought that I would have to leave them behind...

Nicholas

I don't know about the import/export laws, just that rabbits are a pest in Australia and some states made it illegal to keep them as pets. Maybe someone from Aussie can help you there, I'm sure there are rabbit breeders who must import breeding stock to keep the lines from getting too inbred.

I'm in Auckland, although I'm not sure my little apartment can take any more rabbits. I would be happy to recommend Auckland Cavy Care as a very good rescue for rabbits though, if it comes to that. My Sasha's foster mum was very knowledgeable and pretty amazing with rabbit care. I adopted Sasha half a year ago and the rescue still keeps in touch to ensure her welfare.

What state will you be moving to? Bunnies are classed as pests in Queensland and are illegal to keep as pets, but it's odd that you wouldn't be able to bring them to another state.

Importing rabbits to Australia is completely banned, no matter what state you're moving too. It's why we have a limited number of breeds, and some of the breeds we do have are quite rare. Once they're lost here, they're lost forever.

I'm sorry I can't help you on this. All I know is that I've briefly looked into it when my fiance and I were working out where to live (USA or Aus) and I came across the law about importing rabbits.

Seems there should be no problem importing a neutered bunny....they ain't going to multiply. Australia has this rabies thing. Is that a factor? Although I think New Zealand is rabies free. BTW. I lived in Australia for 9 years. Made several trips to New Zealand.

Seems there should be no problem importing a neutered bunny....they ain't going to multiply. Australia has this rabies thing. Is that a factor? Although I think New Zealand is rabies free. BTW. I lived in Australia for 9 years. Made several trips to New Zealand.

Rabies is not classed as present in Australia. A similar but different bat rabies (lyssavirus) is present, but not the rabies that is well known that many animals can carry.

The de-sexed or not status of the bunny is irrelevant. Importation is simply banned.

Latest posts

Back