Looking after another rabbit and now mine fighting!!@

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomasandrosie

Reaction score
Hi i have 2 mini lops one male one female and both have been neurtered. They are approx 6 months old are from the same litter and have always been well bonded and so lovely togeather. Anyway yesterday i agreed to have my friends female rabbit stay with us for a week. She is in a seperate hutch and last night i put her out in the run and let mine run around our enclosed garden as they are very good and go straight in their hutch when fed. They did not bat an eyelid at my friends rabbit so i though great ill do that again today. However this time they were interested in my friends rabbit and the next thing i know there is fur every where and my 2 are fighting!!! I have seperated them all and phoned the vet who has advised me to not allow my 2 to see my friends rabbit and to try re introducing mine by having 1 in the run and 1 in the hutch or in the garden so they can see each other but not fight . Anyone have anyother advice? Im worried iv damaged their bond forever 😢

Rabbit bonds are unfortunately quite unstable. I would do as your vet suggested and try going through the bonding process with your two again. Let us know how everything goes!

Having a strange rabbit in the house (even if the others don't see them they can smell / hear them) can be enough to mess up with a bond. That's not unusual at all. Are you keeping your friend's rabbit for a long time? I wouldn't panic too much. It's probable things will get back to normal after she's gone if you just clean up thoroughly to remove all smells and reintroduce your rabbits in a neutral territory before putting them back together on their normal turf. It might be hard to make them cohabit while the 'intruder' is here, though...

Latest posts

Back