Some questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazerFace

Reaction score
hello, i dont have a rabbit yet but my parents and i are discussing it very seriously so i have a few questions:

first is that my plan is to have a cage for the rabbit (it will most likely be a holland lop) and then to let it roam free in my room or outside when i am at home and awake, so i was wondering how big the cage should be (it would be great if someone could give the measurements in cm) i was thinking of using a "dog cage" in large or extra large but i am not sure because they are pretty expencive, so if anyone has a better idea im open to suggestions!

i was also wondering what the best pellets are for rabbits? i know they are only about 10% of their diet but i still think it is important.

and then last is that i was wondering if there is a lot of difference in male and female rabbits? everything from how they act to how they work i guess XD because i know that female hamsters get ruttish and that they give off scent or something like that (kind of like a period i guess) so i was wondering if rabbits are the same in any way.

i hope someone can answer my questions and thank you! :)
(sorry if the english is bad XD its not my first language)

An inexpensive way to house a rabbit is by using an exercise pen. That provides space and can be configured in a variety of shapes and sizes. That size can increase greatly, for example, if you make use of an existing wall as in the attached photo.

Male or female doesn't really matter. The important thing is to get a fixed rabbit (like from a rabbit rescue). With fixed rabbits, not only do they litter train easily, they won't have naughty hormone-driven behavior. With fixed rabbits, there really are no specifically male traits or specifically female traits. It's best to choose on personality. Meet the individual rabbits from a rabbit rescue.

For a first rabbit, avoid getting a baby. There are many reasons for this which I won't go into right now. By getting a fixed rabbit, the personality will be apparent. That means you can see what that particular bunny will be like.

Pellet brand is important, but what brands are available depends on what country you are in. They should be plain pellets (no colorful add-ins or seeds). A rabbit over 6 months of age should have timothy-based pellets. (First listed ingredient should be timothy hay.)

Letting a rabbit out is a great idea, but bunny needs to be slowly acclimated to that. Begin with bunny confined to their cage/housing. Roaming area will need to be bunny-proofed and then bunny can be allowed in gradually increasing space.

To see cage size options click here. That site will show various options, how to bunny proof, suggestions for pellet brands, etc.

sams x pen.jpg

Exercise pens are the way to go, and so much cheaper than a cage.

I just built a very simple enclosure for my Lionhead bunny, was under $30 in total and I let him out to play supervised. His pen is 2 feet X 4 feet.

20638954_10155549203876031_8531195676900863819_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back