Rabbit neuter concern

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuysmom

Reaction score
hey I'm new here and I'm leslie and have a 4 month old gray rex named chuy and hopefully you can help me with my concerns

my rabbit chuy got neutered on tues. aug. 1st . and I'm concerned about his eating . the first day he only ate veggies and water no hay no pellets which is understandable the next day he started eating hay too after that its been just hay, veggies and water he has not touched his pellets at all and that use to be his favorite thing to eat .i feel like he eats less than what he normally ate and drank any help with that ? also his dropping are a lot smaller some a round other are kinda oval and i woke up to no dropping in his litter box but as soon as i put him in his playpen he hopped around went to his litter box there and his droppings were all small .

also hes 4 months old and I'm trying to switch his hay from alfalfa to timothy which he refuses to eat any help with that ?

If it's still the case today, phone the vet. It's not normal. My rabbits have always eaten normally about 2 hours after their neuter. It can take a few days for slow guts to be up to speed after a 'not eating' episode but if you say he is still not eating normally that's not good. Did the vet give you Metacam (pain meds) and antibiotics after the neuter? Even a small pain can put a rabbit of his food. I wouldn't try to switch the hay before he's back to normal. How do the wounds from the operation look?Anyway it might be worth it to get his wounds checked to dismiss any infection and you might need pain meds in case he's still hurting a bit or even some Reglan (Emeprid) to help his guts. Small poop when the rabbit is eating well is not too concerning but combined with not eating things (he's right not to eat pellets, they don't help any with digestion - he should be eating hay and wet leafy greens mostly to help 'pushing' the waste towards the exit) it's best not to wait too long and it's been 4 days already...

Latest posts

Back