We had a health scare recently ...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
So we had our first real scare with our beloved Kimchi last week. It's been a busy week for us so I am just now getting around to writing up our experience!

Last Friday morning, I noticed that Kimchi had not finished his greens from the night before. I threw them out and gave him fresh ones on Friday morning. I noticed that he hadn't eaten his hay overnight as he often does (or very early in the morning). I refreshed his hay and water, and went to clean his litter box but discovered that I was out of the "Yesterday's News" pellet litter that we use for him. I made a mental note to buy some on the way home.

That evening I arrived back and found Kimchi to be sitting kind of funny near his litter box. He had not touched his greens from the morning time; it had been warm that day and they were wilted, so I threw them out. I petted him and noticed that his nose was wet around the nostrils, and that he seemed to have some urine on one of his back feet. He then promptly hopped into his litter box (pretty normal), and then laid over / plopped over in the litter (very unusual for him). Since I was about to clean the litter box, I tried to pick him up to shift him out of there … to my surprise, he didn’t move at all and allowed me to pick him up – highly unusual! He just lay there draped across my hands, almost lifeless.

I should mention here that we did observe him have a small sneezing spell the night before … maybe five tiny sneezes in a row.

I set him down outside the X-pen and went about the business of cleaning the cage/litter box. It was well “populated” with poops, but since it had been almost 5 days it was hard to say if there were any new ones.

After an hour or so I noticed that Kimchi had not moved an inch from where I had set him down. He also hadn’t changed positions. Now I began to worry. When my wife came home, and we carefully observed him will sitting with him for an hour or so. He would shift around a little, like he was trying to get comfortable. We noticed he was kind of pressing his stomach down ... hard to explain.

Finally we called the vet. I followed the instructions for afterhours emergencies and our vet himself called back. I cannot emphasize how awesome that was, to have the doctor himself call us back at 8:30 on a Friday night. I told him that Kimchi hadn’t eaten or drank during the time I was home – by now, that had been several hours – and that he was listless and allowed me to pick him up, etc. He recommended that we get him into an urgent care kind of place.

We ended up traveling a bit to get to a place that could see us at 10 pm. What a Friday night after a very long week, let me tell you! The vet over there felt him and said he was not distended in the belly, and that stasis was unlikely (he had been fine the day before). We were concerned about this anyway, since a few days prior we noticed that he had managed to find his way from the couch to a high end table where we have (had!) some candles, from which he “sampled” a decent amount of wax. We had been concerned about this possibly causing a sudden onset of stasis (even bringing the candles to the vet to show how much had been consumed).

We opted for the recommended x-rays – I will post them here later if I can manage to do so from work – and thankfully the x-rays showed clean GI tract, no kidney stones or signs of sludgy urine (he had been on alfalfa hay up to about a week before, we recently switched him to real hay).

They ended up giving him IV (subcutaneous) water, and he’s on a 14-day Orbax antibiotic, and they also gave him pain medicine orally, as well as a feeding of Critical Care. I’m not sure if he was just dehydrated, or had suffered from a fever, or both, but even on the way home from the emergency visit, he seemed to start to pep back up. I stayed up very late with him that night and he even went back to his usual exploring and running around.

He seems to have made a good comeback, and he is back to his usual antics this week. We’re going to finish out the antibiotics per the emergency vet’s recommendation, as confirmed with our local vet. We’re still not 100% sure but it seems that he had an upper respiratory infection that really affected him.

This is our first rabbit and it sure put a scare into us, as we love him dearly. Hopefully the next time I won’t freak out as much, but he was so unlike himself that I was scared we might lose him.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? How did you react? How long would you wait before you took your bun to the vet, if they were listless and not eating/drinking/moving around?

Hey mark! So glad Kimchi is feeling better. You asked if anyone has had a similar experience. I'll be surprised if most people on this forum haven't. Rabbits die surprisingly fast. After reading other people's experiences on this forum, I've learned so much. Not long ago, harvey wasn't herself. She was hunched up, not eating. We sat with her for about an hour to see if she would shake it off but when she didn't we rushed her to the vet. That's the right thing to do; exactly what you did. Scary isn't it?

Yeah, we all have I think. The difference is the first time you don't recognize the signs fast enough (luckily, it went well in the end!) - I also left my rabbit for hours before calling the vet the first time and it's something I'd never do again. Next time, you'll know : a rabbit leaving food / being kinda still and a bit hunched = give Metacam and phone the vet asking for an emergency appointment (it never gets better on its own). 'Resting' in the litterbox is also a very bad sign when the rabbit isn't one of those weirdos who usually do it. A litterbox is the place where his own smell is very strong so a rabbit will go there to comfort himself when he's hurting or feeling weak.

If one of my rabbits doesn't eat or act normally, I do the carrot test - if the rabbit refuse to eat a piece of carrot, I call the vet without any hesitation. I also keep painkillers for rabbits at home at all time because even a moderate pain will have a tendancy to 'paralyze' the rabbit and make him not eat which can make the situation a lot worse in the span of 12h - I know a rabbit who went into full blown stasis because he had bumped one of his tooth and there was a tiny bruise on his gum... that's rabbits for you - -' (when my dog is throwing up his guts I'm like 'eh, we'll see in the morning and try giving him rice'. When the rabbits are not 100% normal I'm raising hell at the vet office to get an appointment and an x-ray... I think I'm known there as 'that weird rabbit lady' XD).

Thanks for the replies! It makes me feel better to know that other owners would have (and have in the past) reacted the way that we did. Our vet did after all refer us to the after hours place. It also affirms our decision to suck it up, take him across town, and pay a decent chunk of money for the visit, x-rays, treatments, etc. They seem fragile and we are very attached to our bun.

Yes Metacam is what we have - so now we have a small bottle of the stuff. I will investigate whether we ought to keep it refrigerated or not, to extend the shelf life.

The thing that did it for me was how he allowed me to pick him up and also the flop into the dirty litter box.

Yeah, neither our usual vet - who we had seen exactly a week prior for his routine checkup, which was fine - nor the folks at the late night animal hospital seemed put off by my enthusiasm for Kimchi. :) In fact, their responses told me that they had seen people probably far more eccentric than my wife and I, even with rabbits. :) :) :)

Thanks for your share, I learned alot. Hope everything works out. Jim:sofa:

Latest posts

Back