Something is Wrong with My Bunny :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chichay

Reaction score
Hello,

My bunny has been very ill since yesterday.. when I came home from school, I saw that he was just laying on his side, I later realized that he suddenly cannot move :( I've also observed that he has cold ears and everytime I try to touch him or clean his droppings, he somehow twitches. But the good thing is he is still very interested in eating and drinking, he eats and drinks a lot lately.
Unfortunately we do not have much vets here in our city that checks up on rabbits :( I am currently giving him special attention and I feed him and give him water directly, I also cover him with a blanket to keep him warm.. what could be wrong and what can I do? :(

Hello, we live here in the Philippines :(
But I will try to look for a vet that can check up on him this morning.

Hello, we live here in the Philippines
But I will try to look for a vet that can check up on him this morning.

If he can't really move his front or back legs, it sounds like it could be floppy rabbit syndrome. No one knows the exact cause. It might have to do with low potassium levels. If floppy rabbit syndrome is what your rabbit has, often the rabbit will completely recover after a few days to a week, just by providing nutritional care and keeping the rabbit clean when it's urine or feces gets on it's bottom. If he is still eating and drinking well with your help, I would just continue to do that. If he isn't eating or drinking very much at all, I would make a mush with his normal food and spoon feed it or use an oral syringe, carefully in small amounts giving him time to swallow so that you don't risk accidental aspiration which could lead to pneumonia developing. As long as he is getting enough food and water, feeding several times throughout the day, you should start seeing an improvement in the next day or two. If you have flies around, it's also very important to keep his bottom as clean and dry as possible so that he doesn't develop fly strike, which can be fatal.

I know of some people that gave a small bit of banana to help boost potassium levels when their rabbits had floppy rabbit syndrome, but you do have to be careful giving too much fruit as it can lead to messy poop, that could develop into diarrhea, which can be very dangerous for rabbits to have.

If your rabbit has only lost use of his hind legs and can still use his front legs, it's not likely to be floppy rabbit syndrome, but more likely to be either a spinal injury or the parasite e. cuniculi, unless your rabbit is old, then it could be age related spinal disease.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

Here is some information on floppy rabbit syndrome if you want to read up on it. If you are able to take your rabbit to the vet, just make sure they are very experienced with rabbits. Cat and dog vets aren't usually, and inexperienced vets might cause more harm than good, such as prescribing an antibiotic that isn't safe for rabbits to have.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Floppy_Rabbit_Syndrome.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Flop_rabbit/Floppy_rabbits.pdf

Update!

My bunny is quite getting a bit better, he seems to have energy today, he can somehow move his head and body but still not his hind and front legs. He still eats a lot, I also tried to give him a small amount of banana and he seems to like it.

He always lay on his left side, I tried to put him on his right side but he flipped back.

Latest posts

Back