Possible gash

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitAsh

Reaction score
So, letting my bunny run outside for a bit, I noticed a red circle on his right leg (Kind of like the heel area).
Getting pretty concerned, I took a closer look at it. It was a circular gash on his heel. Most fur was covering the actually enhanced features, but other than that I could conclude that it wasn't just his skin.
I'm taking him to the vet but I don't know when and how it got there.

Any possible ideas?
(He's been acting fine, not really limping or anything. But I'm not sure if it's painful for him or not.)

Yeah, it sounds like pododermatitis to me. If it is, the best treatment is Forudine (fucidine), a cream that you apply twice a day. I got two cases and it worked in a few days for both (whereas previous vets had given me other treatments which were hard to apply and did nothing to help). It's best to treat it fast before the necrosis gets deep inside the foot (it can reach the bone and become quite problematic)

Could it be sore hocks? What kind of surface does he spend most of his time living on? Some breeds with thinner fur on the feet, like mini Rex, are more prone to it too.

I was looking up Sore Hocks. That possibly could be it.
He mostly lives on blankets. A pretty soft surface because I refused to let him on the wired ground.

I'll find out what it is soon.

Latest posts

Back