Meet Ozzy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyLop

Reaction score
Just joined this group about a week ago. Trying to learn more about rabbits and this seems to be the best place. We just got an American Lop a few days ago and the whole family loves him. Always looking to lean more!!
Top picture is of him now and the bottom one was before we got him.

IMG_0897 02.jpg

Ozzy.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!
How old is your little cutie?

He is 9 weeks old. We are thinking about getting a second baby lop to keep him company. We don't want them to make babies. How old do they need to be before having them spayed/neutered? Also how young can bunnies get pregnant? Are there better matches for two bunnies (1 male and 1 female VS 2 male or 2 female) to get along?

super cute!!!!! :hearts:
1 male and 1 female is the best combo (assuming they would both be fixed! lol)
4 months like nancy said.
i would first fix ozzy then find him a spayed bunny. check your local animal shelter for bunnies! they are usually spayed/neutered at the shelter, so that saves you some money! :)
check out rabbit.org AKA house rabbit society for all of your rabbits basic care needs. they have great articles! :D but of course feel free to ask any questions you may have here!

He is 9 weeks old. We are thinking about getting a second baby lop to keep him company. We don't want them to make babies. How old do they need to be before having them spayed/neutered? Also how young can bunnies get pregnant? Are there better matches for two bunnies (1 male and 1 female VS 2 male or 2 female) to get along?

Just in case : NEVER put two intact rabbits together even if they are babies. They could seriously hurt themselves while fighting and if you go with a female / male pairing (which I strongly recommend - two males leads to catastrophe often if you are not a very experienced rabbit owner ready to spend a lot of time to bond with the real possibility of having to keep the rabbits separated until their death if it doesn't work out... if I'm not mistaken one of our member has an 18 year old bunny so you could have to alternate outings and wash 2 sets of everything for a very long time, just saying...) you could kill your doe with a 'surprise' pregnancy... or your male, if she decides she doesn't want to mate and that she'd rather neuter him herself without anesthesia (it happens, for real).

I strongly advise you to wait to know your rabbit a bit better. Then to get him neutered when he is 4 - 5 months old. The weight matters more than the age, so depending on how big he is the vet will decide when to operate. Find a good rabbit savvy vet, you'll need it and generally won't have the time to look for one when problems occur.
Then the best would be to look for an already spayed doe that you will be able to introduce to your current bunny one month after his neuter (not before, the hormones take a while to disappear).
If you decide you absolutely want a baby for your second rabbit, you'll have to keep them separated (ALL THE TIME, don't put them together even if the male is neutered!) for about 6 months until you can spay her and wait for her recovery. It won't be fun - you'll need 2 cages, at least 5 hours a day out of their cage (this is the bare minimum) for each rabbit not at the same time, and intact rabbits tend to exhibit more hormonal behavior when they are housed near another rabbit. To be very clear, you could end up with 5 months of a rabbit spraying pee everywhere (it can go very far and very high on your walls / furniture / guests / yourself), biting, grunting, biting the bars of her cage while trying to charge at the other bunny to gut him, trying to mount everything (yes, girls do that too)... I've lived through it, it was hell.
The house rabbit society has very good articles about bonding and getting a second rabbit which you can read here (they've got good articles about mostly everything, it's a very good basis to start as a bunny owner and it helped me a lot when I got my first rabbit - especially the vegetable list ^^) :
http://rabbit.org/category/behavior/multiple-rabbits/

Wow - if that doesn't steer someone away from owning two rabbits I don't know what does?

So basically you say that keeping just one rabbit is okay without neutering and you will have no problem with hormones etc? I've read that rabbits are social animals and need company, basically what I read in this forum is that they must be neutered/spayed 100%.
Wondering how breeders live with unfixed bunnies or they just keep them in cages completely separated from each other.

Latest posts

Back