2016 Cages You've Made

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue eyes

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's another new year...

So let's see your cages!!

This is the thread for people to post photos of their current (or past) cages. It's a great way for new bunny slaves to be inspired (and fun for everyone else too!).

As usual, let's keep discussion to a minimum.

We'd like this thread loaded with photos, not with chatting.

This is it when I thought it was nearly done but have decided to make some changes. Buns aren't liking the ramps :(

2c264832e239512500095c0a95fb9f5d.jpg

Our previous rabbit, spent nearly 11 1/2 years sleeping everynight in our bedroom under the bed. She was allowed to run the house when we were home, but she was closed in the bedroom when we were gone. Her litter box and water bowl were in our bedroom.

Don't want to make a long story. Bottom line. My wife doesn't want the two Flemmish babies in our bedroom. The babies have been in there. They are really motivated to get into our bedroom. I think the reason is that the carpet under out bed is covered with rabbit hair from the previous bunny shedding. I'm sure they can smell were the previous bunny marked the carpet.

We have an extra bedroom full of junk. My plans are to move out the junk into a back yard shed, put a bed in this room and give the room to the bunnies.

My wife has suggested hutches to put them in the back yard. I don't want to ever keep them outside at night. (The weather here in So Cal is relatively benign) That's why I bought Flemmish. With their size, I don think they'll ever get attacked by a feral cat.

I liked the bunny home in post #3. We could do that here also.

Lucky's away-from-the-dog retreat and bedroom. She has free roam in the living room, kitchen, and our bedroom when we are home and stays in here when we are at work.
Edit: I have no idea why it's upside down haha

20160516_165756.jpg

One of mine isn't co-ordinated enough to go without a ramp between levels so have carpeted the ramp going from the first to second floor and added a carpeted step to get from the second to third floor. Its not pretty but at least he can get up there for now until I find a better solution.

Have also modified it so it has double doors to easily clean the first and second floor and a the top swings out to clean the third floor.

d7efb752e3d03c5301fb3b73cc835e23.jpg

Here are 3 different cages I've either built or modified. The first is what I call the Berry mansion and was specifically built for my Berry boy who is a very active lionhead lop. The cage is 56 inches long x 2 feet wide by around 2 feet tall. The panels in the center open completely to have nice large door.

The second could be called a smaller rabbit mansion. This I actually built last weekend and is on my screened in patio. This cage is currently housing a young lionhead (which is pictured). It is similar to Berry's cage, except is 42 inches long x 28 inches wide by around 26 1/2 inches tall. This one I put in a shelf, about halfway up, which is covered in coroplast. Soon I am going to cover the coroplast with some fabric to make it less slippery. I put some a piece of fleece in there to try to cover it but the little guy just rearranges it. He can get up on the shelf (and jump down) just fine. The center panel in the front opens for a door.

The third is a cage I modified to make it bigger. This was a few years ago and I no longer have the cage (nor the rabbit that was in there), but thought I would include it.

berry-mansion.jpg

smaller-bunny-mansion.jpg

cage-plus-extension.jpg

My bunny's dog crate! He has half a room too run around in, but the cage is for him at night and when I'm not there. The plastic bottom sadly cracked from our dog who used to use it (would've been nice to have the plastic bottom!!!!) So now I got a nice sheet of plywood and covered it with this sorta water-proof fabric (can't find a plastic replacement!) He has a brownie pan bought specifically for him, although it doesn't keep all of the bedding in, it works really well, (the cat ones have high sides and I don't feel like my small bunny would go out of his way to use the litter box lol) he loves to sleep on his hidey house so I placed a nice cushion on it, he has an extra litter box that was nice but he hated it so I put it outside his cage.
Andy looks weird in one pic because he's cleaning himself lol,

IMG_20160604_141524.jpg

IMG_20160604_141456.jpg

Last edited:
Wow these are awesome. Where do you guys get the material to make these? I want to make a cage for my ever growing lop bunny, she's pretty much outgrown the one I bought for her in January. And I want it to have multiple levels on a little dolly cart with locking wheels. The problem is I'm afraid to use wood because it can soak in the smell, and she destroys and chews a lot of things so it wouldn't be ideal. The one in the store with multiple levels is only for chinchillas and ferrets so the holes where the ramps are, are too small. Plus they're like 600! I'm wondering if there's a cheaper easier solution that I can just make myself.

Wow these are awesome. Where do you guys get the material to make these? I want to make a cage for my ever growing lop bunny, she's pretty much outgrown the one I bought for her in January. And I want it to have multiple levels on a little dolly cart with locking wheels. The problem is I'm afraid to use wood because it can soak in the smell, and she destroys and chews a lot of things so it wouldn't be ideal. The one in the store with multiple levels is only for chinchillas and ferrets so the holes where the ramps are, are too small. Plus they're like 600! I'm wondering if there's a cheaper easier solution that I can just make myself.

Here's a tutorial for a grid cage.
http://breyfamily.net/bunnycage.html

This is our set up. They also get free run of the apartment about 4-6 hrs/day each (they hate each other, so we can't let them out together). When using the ramps, they can actually get up to a full speed binky in there! The top two floors are lined with carpet, the bottom one is linoleum which is then lined with newspaper (the bottom floor is where food, hay, and litter boxes go- so we wanted it easy to clean).

Cages.jpg

This is my current setup for my two bonded pairs. Hoping to bond everyone together! I tried in the past and just got so frustrated that I decided to give it a break before giving it another shot... If bonded these two cages would just be open to each other as one large cage. View attachment 17627View attachment 17628

What type or kind of carpet is that? I want to get something like that for my bunny. :)

Here is my boys cage. I am planning on making it a two tier, I got a cool idea off of Pinterest that I am going to get my dad to build for me, since he's quite the handyman, luckily. He's only in here at night and when I am not home.

It's an XL Kong dog crate, it was previously used for my Pitbull Boxer mix, but she doesn't need it anyways. I was using a bunny cage, but I received Asia, my bunny, a couple days ago and he was a bit bigger than I expected. I love him either way. Hehe.

DSC_0729.jpg

DSC_0728.jpg

DSC_0727.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back