Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > What/how often do you give veggies?

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:21 AM   #11
lauren8165
Lauren & Buns

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So, I went to the store and got spinach, mustard greens, Kale and parsley to start. He was getting pellets in the morning and a big plate of green lettuce with slices I take off of a carrot with my potato peeler. (It looks fancy lol). When I went to introduce the new greens, I put about 3/4 green lettuce and other 1/4 with the new kale. I want to wean him, but he basically just picked at it. It looks like he ate most of the green lettuce out of it and a little bit of the kale. Then tonight I did the same thing, but instead of kale, I used the spinach. He hasn't touched it at all. Is it possible that he doesn't like anything but the green lettuce? I hope his tummy isn't upset. Should I just stick with the green leaf? I saw one of you said if he gets pellets, he won't be defecient? He does get good quality pellets. It's just the plain pellets, Not the kind that has nuts and things mixed in.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:10 AM   #12
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 699 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 904

Might be a good idea to read that link I gave earlier on how to introduce greens. You already know your bunny like lettuce. To introduce kale, just give him a bit of kale. He may or may not eat it. With your first try, he ate a little. That's great. The next day offer some kale again (nothing else new!!). Just a bit of kale without lettuce. See how he does. It isn't just a matter of him liking it (which may take several introductions before he decides how much he likes it). So long as he eats a bit of kale each day, just keep offering increasing amounts of kale. If he eats it and doesn't have any change in poos, then that is now a second green to add to his list of tolerated greens. The idea here is not to offer anything other than kale during the, say, 5-7 days of introduction of kale.

After that is done, then you can switch to trying spinach. The reason you don't want to offer one new green on one day and another on the next day is that... if he does have any reaction, you won't know which green (kale or spinach) is the cause of the reaction.

During the greens introduction period, only offer one new green at a time and each new green intro should last several days (provided it is being tolerated).

Rabbits can be picky and it can take several tries with a new food before they decide to try it. So don't give up. Keep offering the same green multiple times.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #13
lauren8165
Lauren & Buns

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Blue eyes, I am sorry I don't know how, but I completely missed the link. I will go check it out now. He does like the spinach and I will keep with the spinach now for a few days and increase amounts like you said. I really wish I would have read that before I started, because it sounds like I am going about this all wrong. Bunny is doing good now, so I don't think I caused any damage luckily. I will hold off on any of the other new greens I got him and introduce them like you suggested. Thank you so much!