Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > Rabbit litter advice/covered litter pan

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:14 AM   #11
Chamarith

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Thanks for your comments. I keep a new lithium ion Dustbuster on top on her "toilet house".
It runs at full power for 20 minutes and has very strong suction. Every time I see litter outside the litter box I clean it up. I am a very fastidious person that likes neat, clean and pretty. Poop balls never get tracked out because I cover her messes with fresh litter after she uses her toilet, and change the litter box every 3-4 days.
BTW, her "toilet house" is a house I built which contains a jumbo litter box and a hay manger on the back wall. She is only 4kg, but likes to move around while in her toilet.
I know that I am radical, but she is the only living and loving thing in my life. Besides, at my age I can get away with being eccentric. hahaha

Old 12-05-2017, 04:25 AM   #12
Cloe-trash
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pine pellets have been kiln dried so they don't contain the toxic gunk from them, and I have set up a plastic screen to go on her litterbox which will then have hay over it. When I get everything set up I'll probably post a picture of her pen since it will finally be finished <3 Im going to scrub the floor with vinegar and put in her new litterbox tonight I hope

Old 12-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #13
Cloe-trash
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's a little bare because I need to wash her favourite blanket but here is her pen with her new litterbox

Old 12-06-2017, 12:01 AM   #14
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1164 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 61

It was probably my post on using pet screening that you saw. I really like having them in my litter boxes. It stops the digging mess, keeps the hay and poop separated from the litter so I can just sweep out the soiled hay and poop if I need to before a litter change is necessary, and my rabbits never chew on it or mess with it at all. So it's something that works well for me and my rabbits.

I will suggest never ever use clumping litter with rabbits unless they have absolutely no chance of access to it or coming in contact with it. It really is very dangerous to them if it ever gets ingested. I know of one man's rabbit that ended up dying from ingesting it and it causing a bowel obstruction. So just best to avoid using it completely. I use wood pellets too, and they seem to work better than any other rabbit safe litter in my opinion. I've used the paper bedding that I felt didn't absorb well and was smelly and soggy. I've used aspen and pine shavings and felt they didn't absorb urine or smell well either, plus tended to get tracked everywhere. Wood pellets topped with hay has been the best litter set up for my rabbits, for controlling odor and urine absorption.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:17 AM   #15
Cloe-trash
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBun View Post
It was probably my post on using pet screening that you saw. I really like having them in my litter boxes. It stops the digging mess, keeps the hay and poop separated from the litter so I can just sweep out the soiled hay and poop if I need to before a litter change is necessary, and my rabbits never chew on it or mess with it at all. So it's something that works well for me and my rabbits.

I believe it was yours! the tutorial helped a lot

And I am veryy happy to report that the new setup is perfect for her. No mess anywhere else in her pen.

Got a plain plastic litter pan, feline pine pellets, the screen, and over that some hay with the bale set up by the bars so she can pull it through. It's her favourite way to eat it honestly because she'll pull several strands through in the process of getting one and ignore all the others that fall haha.And she ends up putting new hay in for me

Thank you all for your help!