Doe with Dampness and Baldness Around Eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimes228624

Reaction score
*This is not my rabbit*

We have a doe named Charlotte, she's about three years old and a breeding doe. She's had an issue with goopy-ish eyes pretty much her whole life but it has gotten worse more recently. In the past couple months she had one litter of four kits and during that time her eye problems seemed to die down but since they were all adopted it's started to get worse again.
The area around her eyes seems damp and she's lost a bit of the fur around them. I've never seen her messing with her eyes, like it'd be bothering her, but I'm also not around her 24/7.
Any idea what the issue is and what can be done to help her heal?

Pictures:
19403489_1943062452377921_1668304296_o.jpg

19457763_1943062449044588_1308088011_o.jpg

A goopy eye means that there is a bacterial infection. It can be from a variety of problems such as an eye infection, a blocked and infected tear duct, or even a related upper respiratory infection that has worked it's way up the tear duct or a dental infection that has spread. Clearing it up depends on what the cause is. An eye infection can often be cleared up with ophthalmic antibiotic oinment or drops, an infected blocked tear duct with or without a related upper respiratory infection may need flushing the tear duct then using antibiotic eye drops in combination with oral or injected antibiotics. A dental infection that has spread would require the infected teeth being taken care of then the rabbit put on antibiotics. What ever the cause it will require taking the rabbit to the vet to get the appropriate treatment.
rabbit.org/chronic-runny-http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/eyes-in-rabbits/
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/DacrocystitisRabbit.htm

http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Hi,

I have a doe, 5-6yo, with very similar problems. Runny eyes, really bad for some periods (bald face), somewhat whitish sometimes. I didn't breed her for 1 1/2 years because of this issue, tried Bytril, antibiotic eye drops, eye ointment, all to no avail. Vet wasn't really much help (nice old guy, but I guess he spent more time inside cows than tending smaller animals). Poor doe became very grumpy, almost aggressive because she absolutly hates being handled, I lost quite some blood giving her medicine...

While I gathered courage to cull her (although she didn't make the impression to suffer) the buck got out and she got pregnant - and *poof*, problem gone. Eyes were perfect, fur grew back. Immun system running on overdrive, I guess.
When she weaned the litter the eyes got a little damp again, but not bad, just noticeable. No fur loss.
I saw the kits grooming her, so I kept one of her daughters to live with her. The problem isn't solved, but in check. That it was gone during pregnancy and nursing imho somewhat contradicts blocked tear ducts.
Now they live with the first litter of the daughter.

Also, my grumpy old doe mellowed out considerable, demanding nose rubs every time I open the door.

Last edited:
rabbits suffering from weepy eye often have an underlying issue of pasturella. Making it an immunologically related disease. Meaning that Stress makes it worse, mild allergies can make it worse, hormones fluctuating makes it worse etc. The fact that sometimes it goes away just means that for some reason the immune system has been boosted.

question for you... does she have matted fur on front legs?

Latest posts

Back