Timothy vs Alfalfa Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting indeed, Pam.

Thank you for sharing the link. Will be adding this to the binder, no doubt.

:rose:

-Carolyn

Good article. It's just frustrating tome because the only foods that seem to be available in feed storesaround here are "grower" foods for growing and breedingrabbits. My bunnies probably don't need that since they'respayed pets. There is Kaytee in the pet stores, but it costsabout 4 times as much. :X

TinysMom wrote:
I've switched - I now use two brands mixedtogether. One is Walmart's "Small World" brand because it isby Manna Pro. I've been told its "crap" by some...but thefact is - the ingredients list is better than the other brands I'velooked at - even at TSC earlier this week. The second brandis one that is made here in TX....Wendland's.

:shock: Please keep a close eye on your rabbits. Ihad a bad experience with Small World pellets. Fey andSprite's last owner fed them that. They had huge, mushy poopsthat were absolutely disgusting. The biggest were nearly thesize of their eyes! They were too big to go through the wirefloor of the cage their cage. I took a sample to the vet andhe ruled out bacteria or parasites. They also had poor bodycondition- they felt hard all over and had lots of bony points stickingout and their fur looked awful. As switching the pelletsslowly and adding hay wasn't helping, my vet had me switch them to atemporary hay and veggie only diet and then start slowly adding pelletsin.

If I remember correctly, the bag label didn't look too bad on firstglance, but the ingredients did list something to the effect of "fiberproducts." My Oxbow pellets don't have that, and thatingredient kind of scared me. What the heck is that?

I know that it could be that Fey and Sprite are more sensitive, butcombined with other people's problems with the food (and I think Iremember Gypsy comiserating with me) I wouldn't trust the food.

Hey Pam, Carolyn, Naturestree and all experts,perhaps you can offer some advice. I enjoyed that link andmade note of how they mentioned protein-sensitive buns. Ithought perhaps my Shorty might have this problem. Orsomething of the like. He has gotten a bit overweight and inthe last two months I have switched the buns slowly to Timothy hay orcubesand pellets. (They are about 10 monthsold) Since then, Shorty hasn't lost any weight nor gainedany. I also give them fresh veggies twice a day and cannedpumpkin with Missing Link mixed in. He doesn't eat his nightpoops. He even occasionally steps in them and I have to givehim a foot washing.

Shorty appears to be happy and healthy. His eyes arebright. He hops and binkies and enjoys his outside time (asdoes Star). He drinks fine and uses the litterbox when he hasto go. So, other than him not eating his night droppings, heseems fine.

Do you all think a trip to the vet is in order? Thanks for reading this :)

hugs!

P.S. They are on Kaytee Timothy pellets, Kaytee hay and Kaytee Cubes.

Latest posts

Back