Hello - Week 2 of Stasis (Long read sorry - pls see if you can help!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidditherabbit

Reaction score
Good morning,

I hope you're all well.

My name is Rich and I have a 7 year old Netherland Dwarf called Siddi / Sid. He's @Sidditherabbit on twitter for updates on his recent progress & flickr for pictures of him that I don't want to ever lose.

https://twitter.com/sidditherabbit / https://www.flickr.com/photos/150482612@N02/with/34630587986/

On the 1st May at 6am, I got up to take him over to get his food, when I found him under my bed, he came charging out but basically as if he was on 3 wheels, and when he ran you could see he was in severe discomfort. We put him in his cage for 20 minutes, he ate a bit and pooped but we decided to take him to the vets for fear of a broken leg. He had Xray's on his spine and hindleg which showed no break, so we were naturally relieved! Unfortunately, Siddi was not eating / pooping and so stayed in the vets until the Wednesday night (3rd), where he had started to appear brighter and eating, BUT he had not pooped. The vets thought by bringing home he would calm down as it's a noisy 24 hour vets and that he would be more comfortable at home. Unfortnately, Siddi suffered a severe seizure at 5am on the 5th May. As I've been sleeping next to his cage I managed to secure him in a blanket to stop him injuring himself anyworse, he was bouncing all over the place and it was one of the most horrible things I've seen. When he started to slow down I thought I was going to lose him, but in auto pilot I threw his bed into the travel box and got him in there and to the 24 hour vets within 20 minutes.

Since then, Sid has made a gradual recovery. You can barely notice he has a sore leg now. He left the vets having been CC fed with meds along with picking the odd veggy and hay while doing poops at about 1/3 his normal size. His personality really started to return and I was seeing him in the vets and got him back late night on the 10th. He has produced some good sized Cecotropes but not fecal pellets atm.

Since he's been home, we have managed to get him eating hay, pellets and dandelion leaves 1/2 times a day along with Critical Care 3-4 times a day (4-5ML).

It's the 15th today and while he's showed improvement in personality and wanting to explore a lot more at times of the day, he is still struggling in some elements.

His poops have not got any bigger

He has parts of the day where you can hear his tummy is quite loud with gas, I have a stethoscope to listen to his gut, it is going fine but some days it is loud enough to hear with out it. At this time, you can tell the poor guy is in pain and is grinding his teeth throughout the day and trying to lay down without putting weight on his belly or digging it into the floor. Eventually, he will get bored of it, yawn and start to roam, which I think means the heaviest of it is passing.

We think he is starting to get too skinny, I don't know what to do here, his belly is ok but there's really not a lot of fat left on him elsewhere, one of the pics on flickr you can really see that. He is also wobbly at times, sometimes on his hind legs he will lose balance and wobble over and shake slightly. I think the seizure took a lot out of him, not sure about his eyes yet, they're pretty clear but monitoring to make sure they don't go cloudy.

We have the vets house visiting in the week a few times to help with food & meds when there's only one at home, we are having to bunny burrito him as he's very very head strong and doesn't like it, once he gets going though hes fine.

His meds are: Metacam (0.5l one per day), Metoclopramide (1.0ml per 8 hours) , Baytril (1ml per day), Panacur (pea sized drop one per day), Zantac (0.5ml twice a day). ---- The panacur is to make sure he hasn't contracted e cuniculi which was given as a differential diagnosis.

Does anyone know how long it can take for his poops to pick up? He on Saturday, had a few that were of normalish size but not a consistent shape. I am really really worried about him, he has been my life for 7 years and because of his fit, I have slept only a few hours a day at the moment due worrying. I just want him to get better, I feel so guilty taking him to the vet in the first instance, because perhaps if we had waited and treated his leg from home, he may have continued to eat. He is a gorgeous little bun and I just want to know if theres anything else I can do to help him.

His meds are due to run out on Thursday as we has a week course for most of them, what will happen then? I've gone to boots to get infacol today just in case his gas gets so bad, we might be able to assist him with that. The vet didn't recommend it though so I'm sat in limbo. Also, they felt it was stasis and not a blockage, I've given him so many tummy massages I'm inclined to agree but can blockage cause these symptoms as well? Would he be able to poop though??

Thank you so much for sticking with the post, I wish you all the best.

Rich

First, don't feel guilty for bringing him to the vet. Just pain can cause ileus. The poops can take 3-4 days in my experience to get back to normal, particularly since he's on so many medications (which are a good thing right now). A blockage could cause these symptoms, but in rabbits, a functional ileus is more likely. It sounds like you are doing all the right things- keep us updated on how he is doing.

Thank you for the response! Nice to meet you.

Could a blockage stop him pooping for 3 days and then suddenly get him pooping at 1/3 or is that more like GI Stasis?Ileus?

He had a glucose count of 23 when he was admitted to the vet for the second time after seizure.

It sounds to me more like ileus (another name for GI stasis) to me personally. The low glucose would explain the seizure, but you and the vet need to figure out the cause of the ileus in the first place- but it could very well be pain from the injured limb. Is he doing any better now?

Latest posts

Back