Using Rabbit Droppings as Fertilizer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsai

Heidi's Mom
Reaction score
Hello!

So I am in the process of getting a garden ready for my rabbit but I am planning on using rabbit droppings as fertilizer. The problem is that I'm not sure how to actually use it as fertilizer. Some people say to simply throw the pellets over the gardening area but some other places say it needs to be "let sit" in water and some wood chips thrown in to level out all the nutrients in it. This leaves me a little confused about who is right! :?

I'm very new to this process and my green thumb father doesn't have any prior experience with using rabbit droppings, all his fertilizer (not rabbit) is pre-made and he buys it so we're really not sure how to concoct bunny fertilizer.

Thus I come to gather the knowledge from you guys! How do you prepare and use your rabbit fertilizer and how often do you reapply/would you recommend to reapply for an herb garden/romaine/spinach/collards?

I tried to use the link in the Rabbit 101 forum topic but it is not an active/live link anymore. :(

you can get a compost pile going ( which I am planning in the near future )

because my 2 pooping mean green producing dropping bun(s) are on the roll in making that stuff

maybe grinding them down a bit would help or just throw them in the pile

Our friend that is a breeder cleans out under her cages and just throws the poop around and in her garden. She doesn't compost it. I don't know how often to reapply especially if it's coming from a litter box. Most breeders have wire cages and whenever the ground gets full of droppings is when they will scoop out everything.

Just googling rabbit manure as fertilizer I came up with many sites.
http://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/03/31/the-benefits-and-uses-of-rabbit-manure/

Last edited:
Thank you all for the input! I guess I'll put it in as-is since I don't have the room to compost. I use a drop pan under the hutch and then a litterbox as well. It seems like its okay to put in the wood chips too but I'll go through the process of handsorting droppings since litterboxes get cleaned every couple days and it isn't a lot of droppings. I guess maybe bi-weekly application might be okay, my dad seems to think bi-weekly works pretty well with every fertilizer.

I'm glad to hear personal feedback, I can never tell if I should trust sites or not but the one you linked looks great. :)

I wouldn't really know the proper way to do it. However when I set up my garden beds for Bandit's greens, I saved a whole bunch of his poop, mixed some of it in with the soil, and then when I planted all the seedlings, I dumped a handful of poop into each hole underneath the seedlings. Everything seems to grow well :p I don't put the poop on top because I like to use the greens for stuff I eat too.

My mom uses Butter's poop as fertilizer for our fruit trees. She doesn't use them for our flowers though since she says they wouldn't work for flowers. She sprinkles the poop on top of the soil and just waters it after. She thinks it's helping our persimmon tree grow.

rabbit droppings can be used as is on any plant. It is safe. Caution with the urine. Be careful with beans as too much fertilizer negates the Bean making aspect of the plant as they put their all into making leaves if given too much fertilizer.

Latest posts

Back