Toby's an escape artist...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarisaAndToby

Reaction score
IMG-20110923-00240.jpg

Excuse the phone picture quality, I was in a rush this morning. The clasps I jerry-rigged right now is a lanyard. The fabric end is tied at the bottom of the door around the fram and the door. Then I take the metal end and stretch it as far up as it will go, usually just past the second floor.

This is not working... I was getting ready for work and out of the corner of my eye see this orange blur fly past me down the hall.

I need help :( He can't keep escaping, especially considering how busy I am and how long I'm outta the house for. I don't want him running around unsupervised. My room is relatively well bunny proofed, but I'm confident he would get where he's not supposed to be and either get himself hurt or ruin something.

Use a couple of small carbiners ( little clasps that you can attach keys to purse or items to belt) found in most hardware,dollar or variety stores. I think that the lanyard is stretching and allowing the little monkey to push his way out. He could get caught in the door as he gets bigger.

He's a year old, so I think he's mostly maxed out (unless he gets chunky :p)

When I think of carabiners I think of large ones that hang from aluminum water bottles... that seems a bit big in my head. Or are there smaller sizes? Or are the ones I'm thinking of small enough?

My Houdini lives up to his name. I found that D clasps work well. You can find them at Walmart or hardware stores. I use the smallest ones so he can push the door as far as the clasp allows, but it is still not open enough for him to squeeze through. I use three, one on top, one on bottom, and one in the middle.

It's hard to see, but this is my set up. About in the middle of the picture can you see a shiny blue clasp on the fence?

083-1.jpg

It literally looks like a D. The streight part of the D you can push in with your finger to clasp/unclasp. I can take a better picture tonight that is a close up of the lock.

You can try large dog leash type clips (I don't know the proper name for them). Hardware stores, Walmart and Zellers should have them. You could also try the dollar store and get a dog leash with a bigger clip (cheaper than just the clip). The clip just needs to be big enough to be able to enclose the 2 edges of the grids.

I use a mix of small (10") bungee cords and binder clips. The bungee cords are easy to chew, so not good for all rabbits but they do provide some tension to keep the door closed. The binder clips are good to keep the closed and tight, but could be pushed off by a determined bunny. I do have 1 carbiners clip, the only issue with this is that is doesn't keep the door tightly closed and Korr does tend to mouth if a bit which is annoying. If you do use them, get the ones with a key ring on it and attach that to one side of the door, you could also use a loose zip tie for this.

Ah okay, those are what Alma was talking about :) I didn't know they came in really small sizes. I'll have to take a look around tonight after work.

Any opinions on velcro straps? I think I would get annoyed with them after a while... Plus he might chew on them

You also may want to lock down the top and bottom so part of the door can't be pushed out. Mr. B, Stew, and Ted were climbers, so anything with an open top didn't work with them. Ted would climb over a 48 inch high barricade. Gave a whole new dimension to rabbit proofing.

I've never seen Toby climb... but I guess given the opportunity he may. He's more of a jumper than anything; sometimes I think he thinks that he's a bird. I've found him perched on top of 25" high spots that are less than half an inch wide. Scares the bajeezus outta me every time.

You might want to add a flange.
You would add a flange to the inside of the first door. Basically so the door overlaps the opening instead of being lined up. This way to door won't be able to swing inward since the flange opening will be smaller than the door. This should also make it MUCH harder to escape.

For a real life example look at your house door. You will notice that the door buts up against a solid piece when closed. Imaging that around the entire bunny door. should give you an idea. Think door jamb.

It's a good thought, but the door can't swing inward as there is a second level and the shelf is blocking the way of the door to swing that way.

Let's see if I have a better picture...
Here's one of the door open so you can see the second level blocking an inward swing.
IMG_0147.jpg

Latest posts

Back