Rocky has a new bachelor pad

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kizza

Reaction score
So, I got a much bigger cage for Rocky that my mum calls The Bunny Hilton lol

I was wondering, when I have finished decking it out with furnishings should i just put him in there and close the door and let him go nuts? Or should there be some transitional phase or something?

He has had a snoop around in there on occasion (as it has taken 3 weeks to put the door on lol) so he knows it is there and whats inside i guess.

Not too sure on the procedure for things like this :p

Hi Kirrie,

Is this an indoor or outdoor cage?

When i had to switch my bunnies into their new cages i just put them in it. I did put most of their stuff ie: litter boxes, toys, food dishes, hay racks, blankets from their old cages to their new cages.

My poor bunnies had 2 moves within a few months. From an upstairs of a home, to the basement sharing a very small room then to an apartment.

It took a bit of getting use to especially for Daisy Mae, it took her a couple of weeks before she would go on the upper level.

Now months later I think they love their room.

Susan:)

Hi Susan,

It is an outside cage under my pergola. It is actually a big dog kennel and I have put a door on it and meshed in the side window, it is quite roomy. I actually sat in it the other night and it is quite warm inside at night lol

He can be quite unsettled in new surroundings but thats normal i guess. I am sure he will get used to it :)

:happybunny:

I would just put him in there, but keep an eye on him when you first put him in to make sure he's alright. If you're moving stuff from his old cage to his new one, don't clean it so well that he can't smell himself anymore; having familiar things will be comforting.

Put his normal stuff in the cage and don't clean it before hand. Just put him in the cage. He has had time to explore it, so that should not be too much of an issue. You could let him out to explore it for a bit before you shut the door if you want. Most rabbits do adapt fairly well. Remember that pretty much all rabbits have gone to a new home at some point in their lives and have had to adapt without familiar surrounding and they do fine. It may take him some time to fully adjust to the new cage, but he should be fine in a day or two.

Thanks for the tips. I have put all of his stuff in there like his litter tray, hay, his towel that he lays on and such but I think he is quite stressed.

I had him in there today for a few hours and he didnt sleep or eat like me normally does. He has eaten a bit since I had him out and about. I think he just needs to adjust to the new routine and he will be fine.

I think it is also that he might be uncomfortable with the extra room as his other cage was quite small.

Any tips on what I should do if he doesn't settle down? I get stressed when he is stressed lol

Latest posts

Back