Clear Eye Discharge- one eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChloeBunLuver

Reaction score
So, Chloe is otherwise doing fine. This is the 2nd time she's had a runny eye- same eye I should note. The discharge is clear and makes her fur look wet and is stiff. Her eye is not red and I'm not seeing any "floaters" which I saw on the first go-round. I'm cleaning it a couple of times each day. She doesn't seem to be having any other issues- eating, playing, drinking as normal.

I looked up some prior postings with similar issues- Last time I used antibiotic drops for 7 days and it cleared up. I had enough left of the prescription (it hadn't expired yet) to try that again this go-round and nope- didn't work. I have wondered about allergies- so I scrubbed her cage really well each day so there is as little dust as possible. I also saw about clogged tear ducts- I actually had wondered about that even before I read the posts.... I was wondering if there was a way I could try to "flush" her eye with saline to potentially unclog her tear duct... and failing that go to the vet.... It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. I would post a pic but I just cleaned her eye (thus prompting me to write this) ;)

Normally flushing the eye is either done under anesthesia for more severe cases, or by massaging the corner of the eye and rinsing. Honestly, eyes are fragile and I wouldn't attempt that without a vet showing me how and checking everything first. I would go to the vet and get an x-ray of her teeth if there isn't an obvious cause. It's hard to tell without seeing it but a weepy eye can indicate that the root of a tooth is pressing on something it shouldn't.

I took my rabbit to the vet for this and she just told me to gently drop some saline into his eyes. Nothing with fancy stuff in it, just tear replacement. Also if she's in a particularly windy place it could be irritating her eyes.

Finally was able to get in to see the Exotic Vet. She agreed with the consensus from the other boards I read- which was that it is either clogged duct or infection. She did accupuncture (which Chloe didn't seem to mind at all- CUHRAZY!) in case it was a clogged issue for it to drain (she did have some draining after that- not much though. She also gave anti-bacterial drops for her eyes. Chloe is still fine otherwise- eating, sleeping, pooping, peeing, drinking, hopping around, etc. Hopefully with these eye drops she'll start to improve and her eye won't look so... icky. :)

Latest posts

Back