Hi from a new Lionhead owner!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionheadluv

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My family has a new addition: a smoke pearl lionhead bunny! He was born on 6/24/2014 and his name is Simba. He is very curious and lively. He likes being petted, but is not too fond of being groomed. I have three daughters (8,10,12), who are trying their hardest to be patient;).
We are new to rabbits, although have had many many other kinds of pets over the years. We are learning his behaviors right now...have only had Simba for 3 days. He has a large cage where the front opens into "his room". He's crawled all over us, nibbled at our clothes (gently), and sat still while we pet him. He's even "binkyed" a couple of times! We are getting him used to being touched on his stomach and hind end in the hopes he will eventually allow being picked up.
I'm glad I found this site! I already have one question:
When Simba is cruising around his room, and we are sitting there, he makes a "Hmm Hmm" noise, very softly. He seems happy when he does it. I am assuming its a positive sound?

Welcome! He looks soooooo floofy, if I were you daughters there's no way anyone would be holding me back from snuggling that lil fuzzy!

I groom my bunnies during their feeding time. That's the only time they're distracted enough to stay still and not care as much about the brush. I'm guessing he's not neutered? The sound he makes is called honking, a mating behaviour displayed by unfixed rabbits which is basically him going, "Heeeeeeeyy pretty ladies."

Yes, you.

He's courting you.

He'll take it to the next level (humping) if you don't take him to get the snip snip. :p

Last edited:
Hello! Welcome to the forum! I also have a lionhead, well a lionhead mix, and her name is Sweetie, she is 6 years old on October 2. She was born in 2008 and I got her on Veteran's day of that year. Yes they are lively. Sweetie is so independent. Some rabbits aren't independent. She was bonded to another rabbit, but he passed at 2 1/2 years. She would not bond to another rabbit at all after she lost her bondmate. She is still bonded to me though. We help each other through difficult times. I love Sweetie, she ate out of my hand when I first got her at 6 weeks and licked me. She even gives me bunny kisses sometimes.

Awe your lionhead looks so fluffy!! I also have a lionhead and I agree that they are very independent. My little guys name is Dobby and I got him this last January.. He was my first rabbit and I think he could tell that because he would often take advantage of me haha. I personally think this breed is extremely smart and are wonderful little companions. Dobby is always finding a way to be outside his cage and usually finds a way to slip his little body through the doors. I have blocked all his passage ways and he doesn't get out now. He lost his brother in march due to a seizure but I see no problems with him not bonding with any of my fiends rabbits. But I have to be careful because he is dominant and you can tell a dominant rabbit from a "follower" one when around other bunnies. But all in all, I think this breed is great and I hope you love your new bunny as much as I do!!

Welcome and new lionhead Simba is adorable! I have a lionhead too, Sir Walter. He also does not care for grooming but we have to do it. He is a fun rabbit, Walter-always coming up with things that me laugh. Enoy your new addition!

If I ever had a lionhead I would definitely be calling it Simba, there's really no two ways about it :p

Welcome to the forum, Bandit is smoke pearl marten colour (though not a lionhead). I hope you enjoy your time here.

Whiskylollipop is correct in that the "hmmm hmm" sound is honking, which is a courting behaviour and is often given when circling. Before Bandit was neutered he used to hop in circles around my feet and honk. It was adorable and I was sad to see that behaviour go, but I didn't want him spraying urine or developing other hormonal behaviours.

:adorable:You need to get a few books and read up on rabbit behavior. They equate getting their rump rubbed with "humping" or dominance. With ours, I've found that bribery with cilantro will keep him still long enough to groom him and he will follow you around and come when called. He's a rescue, so it took a little bit of time. As to being picked up, they mostly don't like it but you can get them to tolerate it and occasionally one will turn into a snuggler.

Thanks everyone for the replies! We were planning on getting him neutered in 4 weeks. I read that 4-5 months is the best age. Should I have it done sooner? He is very "attracted" to my 12 year old daughter. He licks her all the time! Well, I'm ok with her falling in love with a bunny, just not a boy;)!

Any suggestions for a book? He came with a paper packet with basic tips, but it is mostly food and basic health.

At petco they have a rabbits for bunnies book by I guess I go most of my knowledge from this site.. If you just flip around on here you can really learn a lot

I think it's the "House Rabbit Handbook: how to live with an urban rabbit" (up to the fifth edition now) that is usually mentioned as the go-to reference around here. Rabbits for Dummies is also decent. I've read the latter, but not the former.

Latest posts

Back