Coco is leaking. Is this normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coco_puffs

Reaction score
Hi all: My latest adventures with my first bunny (nd dwarf) is that he's now apparently 'leaking' on me. It looks like the deep orange - reddish color of his regular urine. This has been happening, most noticeably, for the past week.

What happens is when I pick him up, we are always belly-to-belly so his tail-end area is nestled between my boobs (sorry...). Now every time I put him down, here's this reddish little stain.

What is going on with my little sweetie. I've never owned a rabbit before. Is this normal?

sometimes they have pee on their fur, tail, or feet ??? they are messy little things!! It's happened to me before, they must of peed and stepped in it right before I picked them up!!

This sounds more like his bum is always wet and messy. That's not normal for a bunny. For an adolescent bunny, sometimes they will not clean themselves well because asserting their smell everywhere is a priority, but usually a wet bum is a sign of urinary tract infection, other urinary problem, or generalized pain. I would have him checked out. If he's getting older (upwards of 8 for a nethie), he could be losing his ability to control his bladder, but you'd want a vet to rule out the other causes in any case.

I agree, urine sitting back there isn't normal and could be causing urine scald on his skin. It sounds like time for a check up.

Thanks all! Coco was adopted and we believe him to be 1-2 years old. He does sometimes sit in his pee area while he's eating hay. But he's not forced to sit there - he has full run of the house.

He didn't do it yesterday at all and I'm keeping a close eye on him today. I have a sneaking suspicion that it comes from a little bit of fear as he seems to do this when I pick him up. I am picking him up properly, but he's still fairly new around here and maybe doesn't fully trust that I won't drop him.

He's under the microscope though, and if he does it again today, off to the vet he will go. THANKS again!!

Latest posts

Back