Pulling up carpet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysticfire

Reaction score
I've noticed areas where Twix has been, the carpet has been pulled up. I've tried limiting his time out, but that doesn't seem fair. However I don't want to replace the carpet in the whole house, we just don't have the money for that. I've tried switching out his toys more often, even every day if I can. I've tried new toys that he can pull apart. He only has supervised time out, but he's been going behind the sofa, under chairs, etc. He doesn't eat the carpet, he just pulls it up. I'm getting frustrated. He's now in his cage but I have a pen for him he gets put in the kitchen (wood floor). Any ideas?

Bandit does the same thing and I'm at a bit of a loss with it myself, I had been substituting out toys to him whenever I caught him doing it, but it didn't work. My next move was to buy some fleece blankets (how big your area is really depends how viable is and if he's going behind couches it might not work) and lay them over the carpet in the fenced in area, then he can pull on it and it doesn't matter. Otherwise, since your bun seems to like going behind and under things, perhaps try making a box maze, will help to keep him occupied and the one wall of the box on the bottom will prevent carpet chewing (until he chews through the box of course).

We have some pieces of wood that are 4' X8' that we will be using to make cabinets from. They are leaning against a wall in Thumper's room. He loves to hang out behind it and he does pull carpet in certain areas. To prevent him from pulling carpet back there I wedged a piece of card board flat on the floor but cut a little wide so it is wedged between the wood and the wall this way he can't pull up the cardboard. The other two areas where he started to pull carpet are also covered in cardboard just held down on one end by a box of his supplies. He doesn't bother with those areas anymore and for whatever reason does is not interested in chewing the card board.

Behind my couch, I have the big cement tubes. I actually got the idea from a thread on here. Instead of the carpet or my walls, they chew on the tubes. There is like a plastic coating on the inside, but it's not too hard to peel off.
Like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-12-in-x-10-ft-Tube-for-Concrete-Q027B/202082874#.UYE63KIS-24 only I have the 8" ones. They aren't very pretty, but my buns love them. lol. Just an idea. I have a carpet square in their pen that they like to dig at and sleep on.

Mumbles says hi. :) At some point I cut the tubes(not easy), so it looks a little funny.

BI4Fu7bCYAEKF3I.jpg

Try throwing a toilet paper tube next to the spot the bunny noms. That helps Q a bit. If all else fails, spritz some apple cider vinegar on it. Q sniffs it and hops off angrily.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to try those! First, I'm going to flatten some cardboard boxes and put over the carpet. Then, as soon as possible, I'll swing by Lowe's and see about some of those tubes. I didn't know about the apple cider vinegar. Does that ruin the carpet at all? Not that it matters anymore, we'll have to replace it now lol!

Latest posts

Back