Bunny keeps stalking me, but nothing else...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfrapp

Reaction score
I adopted my bunny about two months ago, her name is Luna. She was probably owned by someone who has previously abused her in some form because she seems overly untrusting towards humans- but she is potty trained and is a well rounded behaved bunny. HOWEVER, she doesn't allow me to pet her or pick her up (although being picked up is understandable). Everytime I touch her, she will hop a couple hops away from me, and if I try again, she will continue. But, no matter where I go- for the past week or so, she has been following me, and sitting beside me, just watching me. She just doesn't let me touch her. So... my concerns are:

1. How then, do I interact with her?
2. Is this a good sign/a sign that she will soon let me pet her?
3. What can I do to improve it?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Sorry, not sure why it was posted twice...

Last edited:
For the moment I might try easing off on trying to pet her. If you try to pet her every time she approaches, she's only going to stay fearful of it. Try to keep some pellets (if she really likes them) or something on you, so that whenever she takes the initiative to approach you, you can reward her when she gets to you. If she's not used to interacting with people or has been abused in the past, it could take a while, but to me, the fact that she is following you is a sign that she wants to interact with you and be around you. I would just be persistent with rewarding her when she comes up to you and only very slowly start trying to pet her again (some rabbits never like to be pet) but she may grow to like it. Reward her whenever she stays around when you pet her.

It might not be that she was mistreated. Some rabbits are just very particular in what they like, and some take a while to trust. I raised some bunnies since they were born, held them tons, but they just weren't very affectionate bunnies. Never did like to snuggle once they were old enough to explore, and none of them really cared much for head rubs. I was a bit offended. ALL of my rabbits like head rubs. Even their mom LOVES head rubs. But these babies just weren't interested. But as they've gotten older, I've discovered that though some didn't like head rubs, some of them liked it when I started giving them check rubs. They settle down and just enjoy having me rub their cheeks, but if I try and rub their head for too long, they start to get restless. So sometimes it's just finding out what your bun likes. They're all so different, sometimes you just have to try a whole bunch of different things, before you hit on the one thing that works.

If it seems like she is nervous about you touching her, maybe to get her used to your hand, you could try just letting her smell your hand, without trying to pet her. And just do that for a while. Then when she is really used to that and seems comfortable, you could try just a short pet, and work up from there.

I've had my buns for about a year now, and I still can't pet Mumbles(my lion head) when he's just chilling near me. I've finally gotten to the point where he will sometimes let me pet his head when he's in his pen. I don't think he realizes it's me sometimes, and thinks it's Stitch grooming him. lol. I actually sit on the floor when I'm on my computer(I have a large desktop & no room for a desk, so my computer is on my coffee table), and he'll randomly start sniffing/nudging my legs and putting his paws up on them. I internally scream of happiness every time because he's so soft! I can't reach down to pet him though because the moment I move, he runs away.

It will take time, and it's possible(like the others have said) that he's just a frightened bun like my dear Mumbles. lol. Good luck with the treat idea! Mumbles only likes the less healthy store bought treats and won't touch fresh food, so I can't try the treat thing. I have noticed that when it is treat time, he doesn't care about what's touching him because he's so excited. lol.

Latest posts

Back