Need some advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartsr4caring

Reaction score
I got Cookie my bunny about 3 weeks ago. At first I had him in a tiny cage and the next day I went out and got him an expen. He has plenty of room in there, he is 13 weeks old. He is a holland lop. I have plenty of toys in there and he seems happy. When I go in the room he hops to the front of the expen to be let out. If I am the only one in the room he is fine he hops around plays, then when he gets tired he goes into the pen and lays down and watched me. He will come up to me but will only let me pet him when he is tired. But anyway the problem I am having is now all of a sudden if anyone is in the room other then me he will leave poop everywhere and now he has started to pee. I don't know how to explain it but it seems like he is doing it on purpose. I tell him no and corrall him back to the cage and shut it but I honestly hate locking him in there. Today I put him in his cage and then my boyfriend and his grandmother came in and he peed a tiny bit by the front of the cage and then kicked his back feet spraying us with pee. I took it as he was not happy. It took a little bit of time but I finally have it so he pees in his litterboxes when he is in his cage all the time, I had to do the papertowel soaked in his urine trick but it worked. So it was weird that he did that.
photo.php

I have always planned to get him nuetered and still do. He is only 13 weeks old and the earliest I can find is 5 1/2 months. So we have a while, I do not feel like I should keep him confined to his cage until I can get him nuetered, but I don't know what else to do. I just don't want him to be miserable. Any suggestions?

537976_10151570657315513_1481382376_n.jpg

It could be that he is feeling nervous when other people that he doesn't know very well, enter his territory, and so pees in response. It could also be a territory thing, since he is at that age. He could be feeling that his territory is being trespassed upon, and so pees and marks 'his' area, in response. If you think it might be because he is scared, then it might take some work socializing him with other people slowly, so that he gains confidence. If it's a territory marking thing, then it's really going to take waiting for the neuter, to resolve it. There is also the fact that he is fairly new, and rabbits will spend some time marking their new area. It can take a few weeks for them to settle down, but it's usually best to limit their area until they are proficient peeing in the litter box. If you give them too much space to run around, too soon, it can lead to pee accidents. Plus he's still a youngster, and they sometimes have accidents, just cause they have short attention spans and get easily distracted.

So I guess my main concerns are 1. If he primarily has to stay in the expen because of territory issues right now is it going to seriously affect him getting used to us? I am going to try to let him out of his pen again tomorrow when I am the only one in there and see how he does. I might have to just start doing that but I have a home daycare so there isn't much time I can sneak away and go upstairs where he is. I spend about 45 minutes to an hour as it is, and then I was letting him out for 3 hours or so at night. Only recently he has started this so its either his hormones or that he is trying to get comfy in his new home. Ugh being a first time bunny parent is hard work lol.

Latest posts

Back