Bunny is scared?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocoxbunny

Reaction score
Ok so for the past few days i've been trying to teach my bunny to not chew on things she shouldn't like my window sill (by spraying her with water and saying "no") and giving her the things that she should chew on. After a few minutes when i want to go by her or carry her to take her back to her hutch at nights she starts making these sounds. Is she scared of me now? I couldn't upload a video but if you guys can check this link i posted it there. https://youtu.be/cSWtAAyioyw

Are there any other methods of teaching her to not chew on things she shouldn't? She has plenty of things to chew on that are for her, but she refuses to chew on those.

Block off or move.

Anything that you don't want bunny to chew on should be either barricaded so she can't get to it, or removed. There isn't truly any "training" not to chew on something because rabbits (unlike dogs) aren't interested in "pleasing" their human. As soon as you aren't there to watch, she will go right back to whatever it is that she likes.

If she's after the sill, get a strip of 1"x (2" or) 3" untreated lumber and put it in front. She can chew on that all she wants.

Agreed. You can't train a rabbit or 'redirect' her attention and I wouldn't wet your bunny - rabbits are pretty fragile and she could get ill. If you want to avoid certain things to be eaten, you have to protect them (hard plastic tubes around electrical cords, don't leave anything on the floor because everything that is there is free game and that includes shoes, block access to things your rabbit may chew on - don't try any repellant or dumb ideas like putting tabasco on things). You will lose things. My rabbits killed the wall paper of my room in my parents' country house, they've eaten 3 sets of headphones and the antenna from my clock-radio, the zipper from shoes and a coat, made holes in a pillow and countless bedding things... and of course, they've damaged countless books. Your rabbit will probably damage less things as she grows up. My Aki is almost 8 and I can't remember the last time she's eaten something of mine but she did a LOT of damage during the first 3 years - even when I thought everything was protected she always found something.

When you say you take her to her hutch at night, do you mean that your rabbit spends her day inside and is taken outside in a hutch at night? If it's a yes, you have to stop doing that. Your rabbit will get sick if the temperature of her environment changes all the time.

Block off or move.

Anything that you don't want bunny to chew on should be either barricaded so she can't get to it, or removed. There isn't truly any "training" not to chew on something because rabbits (unlike dogs) aren't interested in "pleasing" their human. As soon as you aren't there to watch, she will go right back to whatever it is that she likes.

If she's after the sill, get a strip of 1"x (2" or) 3" untreated lumber and put it in front. She can chew on that all she wants.

True, I've figured that out with my bun, she's pretty stubborn, sometimes she listens when i tell her not to do something without spraying her then two seconds later she just does it again, i sometimes think she just wants my attention even when I'm right next to her. I heard spraying lemon salt? (I think) would stop them from chewing on some things, is that true? Or what else can i use

Agreed. You can't train a rabbit or 'redirect' her attention and I wouldn't wet your bunny - rabbits are pretty fragile and she could get ill. If you want to avoid certain things to be eaten, you have to protect them (hard plastic tubes around electrical cords, don't leave anything on the floor because everything that is there is free game and that includes shoes, block access to things your rabbit may chew on - don't try any repellant or dumb ideas like putting tabasco on things). You will lose things. My rabbits killed the wall paper of my room in my parents' country house, they've eaten 3 sets of headphones and the antenna from my clock-radio, the zipper from shoes and a coat, made holes in a pillow and countless bedding things... and of course, they've damaged countless books. Your rabbit will probably damage less things as she grows up. My Aki is almost 8 and I can't remember the last time she's eaten something of mine but she did a LOT of damage during the first 3 years - even when I thought everything was protected she always found something.

When you say you take her to her hutch at night, do you mean that your rabbit spends her day inside and is taken outside in a hutch at night? If it's a yes, you have to stop doing that. Your rabbit will get sick if the temperature of her environment changes all the time.

Oh no i would never put tobasco on anything, but i've heard of bitter sprays for bunnies, do those work? And oh my, my bunny already has chewed on the bottom parts of my window blinds, my laptop charger, and 2 headphones, now before i bring her into my room i make sure all wires are put away lol. By the way are there any tips for keeping my bunny happy and healthy at all times? She's my first actual pet, I mean i've had 2 hamsters but one died and other i had to give away a long time ago and I've had my bunny for like 9 months now. She's 8 months old.

Her hutch (idk if i should call it a hutch, its like those two story cage like things) is inside she's just in the living room at nights and in my room throughout the day.

Don't spray a rabbit its mean because they don't know what it means. Rabbits are not the most evolved animals. They are stubborn and Instinctual.
Rabbits are going to chew what they want when they want as long as they have access to it. That's why bunny proofing is such a big thing for rabbit owners.

I heard spraying lemon salt? (I think) would stop them from chewing on some things, is that true? Or what else can i use

Rabbits are just super stubborn. They will be more stubborn than you! If they want to chew something they will - if they can get to it. :nasty::devil

People have tried spraying bitter apple, rubbing ivory bar soap, or rubbing white vinegar. May work somewhat for some rabbits, but needs to be re-applied consistently. Those end up being marginal solutions at best. The only sure deterrent is to block it off or move it.

Rabbits are just super stubborn. They will be more stubborn than you! If they want to chew something they will - if they can get to it. :nasty::devil

People have tried spraying bitter apple, rubbing ivory bar soap, or rubbing white vinegar. May work somewhat for some rabbits, but needs to be re-applied consistently. Those end up being marginal solutions at best. The only sure deterrent is to block it off or move it.

Oh yeah they definitely are stubborn lol. The sucky part is the things she's chewing are things i can't block off like the entire foundation of the floors, like the bottom parts or the window sill, I don't care for the condition for those my only worry is that if the paint is lead i don't want that harming her, other than that my room is bunny proofed, she really doesn't have access to chewing on things that she shouldn't anymore

If it's baseboards that are a problem, I've put those untreated boards to block them. Won't win any decorating awards, but it protected the baseboards.

baseboards.jpg

Latest posts

Back