Bat crazy bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll admi I don't come around here much anymore, mostly when I'm stymied - like now. I'm putting this in the behaviors subject because the vet can't find anything wrong with her.

She is a 4 year old neutered Holland lop. I've had her for 3 years, no idea of her history. She had some behavoir problems, but she has learned quickly.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't see well as when I'm holding a treat she comes running and smashes into my hand.

Now the puzzling part. She is so noisey! I've included some videos. I know some times she does it when stressed, at the vets everyone can hear her throughout the office and has to come see who is making gall that noise.

She also seems to do it in her sleep, and when I'm petting her. She has even been known to tooth pure and cry like this at the same time.

I should mention too a few months ago she started to have diarrhea once or twice a week. Not excessive cecals, real diarrhea. I started giving her Probios every day and the diarrhea stopped as well as most of the loud distressed crying.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on with girl! Should I push the vet to be more aggressive? Or is she not necessarily sick/in pain but just expressing herself?

I have some videos, but don't know how to include them.

You need to first upload the videos to something like photobucket or youtube.

Have you had any testing done- xrays of head and/or body, blood tests, urinalysis, ultrasound, etc?

It is possible that you just have a very vocal rabbit, and she vocalizes to express strong emotion such as contentment, excitement, or pain. It's not common in rabbits except usually when a rabbit is in extreme stress, but certainly possible in some rare instances for it to happen on other more normal occasions.

It seems to me that it's a breathing issue, and not a sound she's making on purpose. Not an issue from her teeth. It could be something to do with the way her respiratory tract is shaped, since it's so regular with some of her breathing it sounds like it could be shaped in a slightly different way or have something that may partially block it at times so she just becomes a noisy breather. She seems like some sort of dwarf and I know they can have quite squished faces which may have something to do with it, similar to brachycephalic dogs that have quite noisy breathing. Has she always been this noisy since you've had her, or has it just started recently?

It's possible I suppose that there could be a foreign object partially blocking (though then you would likely see signs of infection) or perhaps a growth that is causing some blockage. However if she doesn't seem to be struggling to breathe at all, it just seems like a relatively normal thing to her.

Thanks for the reply.
She is a Holland lop, and yes she does have a pushed in face. She has always been like this, though she doesn't always make noises. The vet took an xray and ruled out obstruction. The videos show her with different emotions and the sound changes depending on how she is feeling.

I agree with Azerane that it could very well be due to restricted air passages. When your rabbit is more excited or upset about something, this can cause the airway to be more restricted and also increase respirations which will increase the vocalization sounds you are hearing. I have some dwarf rabbits that are a bit like this but not quite to the extent of your rabbit. And it's the same thing when they are eating, excited, or upset, their little noises are much more apparent.

With your rabbit, it could be a genetic issue from the squashy holland lop face and narrow nasal passages. Really no way to know without having the air passages scoped to see what's going on, and not something that I would ever feel necessary unless my rabbit was having serious respiratory problems. But even then if it was done, nothing may be found and it could be something else entirely.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it as long as it isn't causing any respiratory issues or difficulty breathing. Though I will say that the last video was quite dramatic and if I heard a rabbit making that loud of a vocalization, I would be initially very concerned something was wrong. But it seems like this just might be your rabbits 'normal'.

Thanks for the replies. That does make since. The last video is the sound she makes at the vet's. People can't believe a rabbit is making that noise. The first one she is sleeping, I wish I could see what she us dreaming about.

I'm glad it's nothing to worry about.

I know you said this has pretty much been resolved for the moment, but I would honestly get her heart checked out. I had an elderly guinea pig who started making those same exact sounds and it turns out he had a very enlarged heart. He was losing weight dramatically as well though, which your bunny doesn't seem to be doing. Still might be worth checking out if the funds are available just for piece of mind. Chest x-ray or even better an EKG.

More about the crazy bunny:

My husband swears she's psychotic!

We got her from a rescuer who got her from someone who got her from someone on Craigslist. She was a year old when we got her and we have had her for 4 years now.

At first she had a lot of cage aggression. I could NOT put any part of my body near a box she was in. I would lose a chunk of flesh. She also hid under the bed and bite my barefeet or shoes as I walked past! No petting or picking up allowed!

Now she allows head pets, doesn't attack from under the bed, can reach into a box to give head pets, if
she's in the right mood I can even pick her up!

However, she is still so over excited! She sees I have a treat and will race around, maybe climb up/bite my
legs, come running to me and bite my fingers, run after Hershey (male bunny mate) grab him by the butt and still be hanging on as Hershey is running away. ( I have had to intervene in these cases).

The other night I was sitting in bed, she stood up beside my bed, probably begging for food. I tried to pet her head and she grabbed my thumb taking out a big a big chunk!

This bunny has come such a long way, but she is exhausting! Any suggestions for the next step in getting her calmer?

Latest posts

Back